Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm going to get my first road bike. Looking at the R5000 and have read that some say to go with the '05 instead of the '06 because they took out some of the good parts on the '06. Is this true? I am going to stop by the LBS and check out the R1000 and R5000. I know both '05 and '06 are available in both models. Which ones shoudl I look at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I have the 05 R-5000 and think It's a great bike. The 06 does have slightly downgraded specs but it is still very nice. The only things actually downgraded are the stem, handlebars, and seatpost. The crank is avaliable in Mega-exo for compact or traditional crankset which I think is an upgrade over the proteam crank offered last year. I'd get the 06 because I'm partial to the raw color frame and then replace the stem, handlebar, and seatpost to suit your taste
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
bikerbrian said:
I have the 05 R-5000 and think It's a great bike. The 06 does have slightly downgraded specs but it is still very nice. The only things actually downgraded are the stem, handlebars, and seatpost. The crank is avaliable in Mega-exo for compact or traditional crankset which I think is an upgrade over the proteam crank offered last year. I'd get the 06 because I'm partial to the raw color frame and then replace the stem, handlebar, and seatpost to suit your taste

And the Elites.

BB, do you know how much the 06 stem and post weigh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they both have elites? no?

I want to buy all the bike i can right now which is why i'm going for the r5000 instead of a r700/r1000 and working my way up. I already know I will ride, it is just a matter of what I'll be riding.

I think in the end I'll probably get a '06 since I have a feeling it will fit me better. The '05 im looking at they only have 1 left and its a 56 where as with a '06 I can get whatever i want. I was sized today and was told I have a longer torso than I do legs. I was told I would fit a 56 for reach but I'd be tight on the stand over, with a 54 i'd have clearance but I might be cramped. I will be bringing my shoes and pedals from my mtn bike in this weekend to do a couple rides.

I have tried to follow some of your guys recomendations since there was a similiar post with regards to a 54 or 56 frame but I don't follow all the measurements very well. From what I've read it sounds like I should go with the smaller frame and adjust the stem length to fine tune the fit. I'll talk to the LBS and I guess I'll have to play it by ear with the LBS.. hopefully they'll help me get a decent fit.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
GaryJaz said:
And the Elites.

BB, do you know how much the 06 stem and post weigh?
You're thinking of the R1000. The '06 model got downgraded from Elites to Equipe. But the '06 R5000 has Elites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
paint said:
You're thinking of the R1000. The '06 model got downgraded from Elites to Equipe. But the '06 R5000 has Elites.

I thought we were talking about the R5000! I meant in my post that if the OP wanted to reduce weight of his R5000, s/he should think about replacing the wheels in addtion to the parts listed.

I've had my 06 R5000 for a few days now and I like it, though it weighs about 17.3 pounds without pedals stock.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
Ah, I see. I thought you meant that the '06 R5000 didn't come stock with Elites.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top