Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Large blurry non-mythical
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Race Across America experts will tell you that the race lasts ten days or so for the fast solos. But for most racers an assault on RAAM is a commitment of many months or even years with the final push to get ready starting yesterday when RAAM’s Oceanside, California headquarters opened registration check-in at noon.

“We were busy right when we opened the doors,” said RAAM race director Terry Zmrhal. “Technical inspection of all support vehicles is Friday and the experienced riders know how much work it is to get all of their lights installed and stickers applied and they want to get it done and get in some rest time before the start.”

Indeed, Oceanside’s hotel parking lots were buzzing with activity as rider crews readied their vehicles and equipment and applied their sponsor’s logos and the RAAM-required stickers. RAAM’s own crews were busy too, getting radios installed, testing their satellite and cellular uplinks and applying stickers to their vehicles too.

Meanwhile concerned RAAM crews and staff were monitoring the tornado watches in effect in the mid-west. That tornadoes are not to be taken lightly was evident to all RAAM participants last year as the race passed through Greensville, Kansas, a town that was virtually leveled just weeks before RAAM ’07. “Wind and tornadoes are always a concern, especially in Kansas, said Zmrhal. But as it says in the racers’ information package, part of RAAM is being prepared for whatever happens.

RAAM will begin on Saturday, when the solo women and age 60+ men start at noon. The rest of the solo men will start Sunday noon. I'll be along the whole way and will provide updates as I go.

PHOTOS:
1. Swiss rider Martin Jakob's crew readies his follow car and motorhome.
2. Graphic evidence of the power of the tornado that hit Greensville, Kansas just days before RAAM '07.

Bigfoot

· Registered
577 Posts
Do you know how I find out specific locations for the time checks. On the website it says the towns but not where in the towns? Or did I just miss something?

· Large blurry non-mythical
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The RAAM Route Book

logansites said:
Do you know how I find out specific locations for the time checks. On the website it says the towns but not where in the towns? Or did I just miss something?
Go here: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/subwebraam/raam.php?N_webcat_id=7

and click on "Zip file of maps." That will give you a PDF of each page of the official route book .
Does RAAM pass near you?

Bigfoot

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Big-foot said:
Go here: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/subwebraam/raam.php?N_webcat_id=7

and click on "Zip file of maps." That will give you a PDF of each page of the official route book .
Does RAAM pass near you?

Bigfoot
It passes by me, and I caught the race as it came by in 2005 and 2006 (South Central Ohio). I actually got interviewed by some chaps out there as Jure Robic came by en route to his second win.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.