Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...during a 6-7 hour stage or race in the Pro Tour, do they have commentary throughout the whole thing? I know during the TDF or any televised race, they only show the last 2 hours of each stage (sometimes 3). I am still amazed Phil/Paul can talk about something during entire 2 hours (most of which is entertaining)....what do they talk about if they covered the entire stage? I assume they do and we just don't get the 'full' coverage.

Thoughts?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
A4B45200 said:
Just curious...during a 6-7 hour stage or race in the Pro Tour, do they have commentary throughout the whole thing? I know during the TDF or any televised race, they only show the last 2 hours of each stage (sometimes 3). I am still amazed Phil/Paul can talk about something during entire 2 hours (most of which is entertaining)....what do they talk about if they covered the entire stage? I assume they do and we just don't get the 'full' coverage.

Thoughts?
If announcers can talk through a baseball game, talking through a bike race should be no problem. - TF

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TurboTurtle said:
If announcers can talk through a baseball game, talking through a bike race should be no problem. - TF
I suppose that's true. However, in baseball there are pitches and plays to call every minute. In cycling, the peleton can cruise seemingly for an hour w/o any breaks, moves, attacks. Don't get me wrong, I'd watch 7 hours of cycling coverage w/ commentary anytime. I just never had the chance to do so. In a GT, that would be a marathon of commentary for 3 weeks. I'd for sure learn alot about someone's form during that time :)

Is such coverage even available to the local market of any of the races?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
A4B45200 said:

Thoughts?
I think it's unusual for there to be more than the last few hours of a race televised. For some of the big races (or stages) they will start the TV feed earlier. I think typically when reports are coming out of a race early it is from race radio not from someone watching it on a TV monitor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts