Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many special jerseys in the peloton. World Champion, National Champions, Race Leader, KOM, Sprint, Best Young Rider, Most Combative and at one time there was even a black jersey for the Last Place Rider. All these jerseys have one thing in common, they are earned on the bike in the races. The cyclists who wear them have earned the attention they bring through their skills on the bicycle.

Now there is also the black and yellow Livestrong jersey.
I'm sorry but I just don't think it belongs in the race. Please don't misunderstand me. The foundation is a good thing, but Mr. Armstrong has plenty of time when not racing to raise awereness to the cause.

The man has worn Yellow and before that he has worn the Stars and Stripes and in the future maybe we'll see him in Pink. All these jerseys have been and may be won on the bicycle in the races. The Black and Yellow has not.

The race is about the bicycle. Leave the outside interests till after the race.

·
Administrator
13,021 Posts
not wearing it, he was in an Astana jersey.

·
Administrator
13,021 Posts

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
Ummm....He trains in his Livestrong gear and races in Astana gear. You might want to try and watch the races instead of throwing ignorant commentary out there.

Now his bike...that's another issue.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I kinda wish he would have the same design on his bike as the rest of the team.. Unless everyone has a personalized bike I don't think he should either. It's a great cause and once I fully support but somethings are better left to tradition.

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He races in Astana gear but wears the Livestrong cold weather overcloths. He also wears the black and yellow helmet and rides the special painted bike throughout the race.
I did watch the race, no ignorant commentary, just observation.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think since he is not getting paid to race he can wear what ever the **** he wants to. And he's not the first rider to have a personalized bike Ivan Basso, Filippo pozzato. I don't understand why everyone cares about what lance is wearing.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
nicks2192 said:
I think since he is not getting paid to race he can wear what ever the **** he wants to. And he's not the first rider to have a personalized bike Ivan Basso, Filippo pozzato. I don't understand why everyone cares about what lance is wearing.
Because it's trendy to hate Lance right now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I guess it is, he's trying to raise money for cancer research and I guess if you try to do that while your getting a lot of coverage on t.v that's not good.

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
It has never been a faux pas for certain riders to have personal bikes in a race. It is actually quite common. Carlos Sastre rode a different bike than the rest of his team last year, and Marco Pantani had a custom machine with a taller head tube than everyone else. Also, since he is riding to raise awareness for his cause and there are many, many new fans of cycling watching these races because of him, it makes a lot of sense for him to be very visible and displaying the colors of the cause. That is my opinion, anyway.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
velodog said:
The race is about the bicycle. Leave the outside interests till after the race.

Really? I thought the race was about the rider?

As long as he wears his normal uniform I don't see the problem. Amgen doesn't mind, Trek surely doesn't mind, Nike doesn't mind, and Astana doesn't mind. Why do you mind? It's bike racing. Relax.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.