Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so today I did the Lake Sunapee Bike Race (beautiful, by the way) and my flatlander legs couldn't take the pace (surely it's not my advancing age!) and I got dropped on the first big climb. No big deal, really - since throwing my back out two weeks ago I was happy just to be there - but I finished the first lap and there's the race photographer, and I'm primed (and ahead of another rider, which is cool) - and the camera doesn't even come up. What gives? Is he trying to be polite by not recording the off-the-back riders for posterity? Are we not worth his time? I for one would value (and pay for) a race photo, even if I'm dropped at the time. But no joy this time. Any other experiences of this kind? Thoughts?

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
How much did the photographer charge for pics? At the last race I ran, they were $17.99 to download one! I almost crapped my pants when I saw that. I've seen them from ~$3 (I bought those) up to $19 (I didn't buy even though I was putting a good beat down on some fools and you could see it in the pics).

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I just finished a race dead last a few weeks ago, no biggie, I had the flu three days before, heck I knew on the first climb that my lungs wouldn't work. So I just rode the ride to enjoy myself.

A couple of photographers were taking pics and they got a couple of nice ones of me. Who cares if I was dead last, if they didn't take your picture, they lost a sale. My guys got 20.00 out of me, they didn't care I was last, and twenty years from now neither will I

Bill

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just finished a race dead last a few weeks ago, no biggie, I had the flu three days before, heck I knew on the first climb that my lungs wouldn't work. So I just rode the ride to enjoy myself.

A couple of photographers were taking pics and they got a couple of nice ones of me. Who cares if I was dead last, if they didn't take your picture, they lost a sale. My guys got 20.00 out of me, they didn't care I was last, and twenty years from now neither will I

Bill
agreed! just make sure you have the "eye of the tiger" in the pic. even if the guy behind you is about to lap you... lol. you dont always have to be honest about the the pic...... "yeah check this out, he was trying all day to catch me." lol. :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
In a year, you will be off the front with the main field miles back. It is nice when they capture you soloing to victory...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Sometimes there are several race photographers and maybe some random 'privateers' who aren't out there shooting everybody but just a couple key people they know or teams they are involved with. I wouldn't overthink it.

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
Now these quoted folks...

...are the posse you want to ride a double century with :D

I would have circled around and given him another chance to capture my true talent. :yikes:
I actually thought of that! But I was involved in a pitched battle for next to last place and couldn't relenquish my position!
There is arguably some glory to be had in DFL...

Lanterne rouge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You should have been wearing one of these.
You got to have your priorities!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.