Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subtitle: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
Subtitle#2: Too dumb to give up.

It was a dark and stormy night...............no it wasn't. It was a sunny, breezy, 43 degree day in beautiful Wisconsin. After 10 minutes, I made the mistake of thinking that I was in mid-season form, so I went to the front and kicked up the pace enough to split the pack. Little did I know, The one guy that I didn't recognize, was in mid season form. Just when I was pretty well gassed, he jumps and I had nothing left to counter him. Even worse, two other guys take off and leave me gasping. After a few seconds I try to organize the other two riders in the break to chase. One sort of helps, but the pace drops whenever he pulls. After 10 minutes of this, I decide that's to do or die time. After one of his pulls, I just roll off the front. It's just me against the wind. The next ten minutes has the gap slowly decrease, while my body starts playing "ding-dong" at the house of pain. When I finally close the gap I start my " Sounds like an old French Wh*re" act. Gasping for breath, and making sounds like a zombie. I manage to pull that act for the last 5 laps of the race. Just before the bell, the rider who originally broke away caught us. Of course, we clamped on to him like a leach. Going into the final turn, I guessed that "Mr mid-season form" wasn't going to sprint, so I made sure that the rider on his wheel was boxed between me and the curb. I was the first to go, and that's where the ugly part started. While winding up, my back wheel must of hit a bump and bounced into the air. I had to sit to regain control of the bike. That's when the other rider that I was sprinting against caught up to me. I dug in again and the exact same thing happened. That was it. I couldn't close that gap, but at least I out-sprinted the third guy in our little group. Overall, third place isn't terrible. second would have been better, but fourth would have been worse.
I'm still wondering how that one guy got into shape like that. Must have spent a month down south.
I'll try again on the 19th.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Maybe we're all too intimidated to respond.

Hey, still a podium, nice work. Was this a crit or RR? I'm new to this racing thing, but by far my most frustrated finishes were 2nd and 4th. Am I all out of whack, or is this a masters' race?

My first race of the season -- which is my first full season as a wannabe racer -- is this weekend, and I'm trying to tell myself "Early season, it don't matter how you finish, still coming back from injuries sustained in 2 crashes, early season..." but I know the little pitchfork-dude on my shoulder will be shouting "hammer, hammer, win or go home."

Biggest thing I know I need to do is to avoid the "Cat 4 sprint."

·
24,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crit....yes, masters. 1st crit of the year. Got another next Sunday, and another the week after. No RR for another month or so. Lots of crits and TT's this year. Only 4 or so RR's, which is good because I tend to be "gravity challenged".
"My first race of the season -- which is my first full season as a wannabe racer -- is this weekend, and I'm trying to tell myself "Early season, it don't matter how you finish, still coming back from injuries sustained in 2 crashes, early season..." but I know the little pitchfork-dude on my shoulder will be shouting "hammer, hammer, win or go home."
As long as you take a few chances, and end up with an empty tank, you can't ask for more. Sometimes "smart" is better than "strong".

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:

It was a dark and stormy night...............no it wasn't. It was a sunny, breezy, 43 degree day in beautiful Wisconsin. After 10 minutes, I made the mistake of thinking that I was in mid-season form, so I went to the front and kicked up the pace enough to split the pack. Little did I know, The one guy that I didn't recognize, was in mid season form. Just when I was pretty well gassed, he jumps and I had nothing left to counter him. Even worse, two other guys take off and leave me gasping. After a few seconds I try to organize the other two riders in the break to chase. One sort of helps, but the pace drops whenever he pulls. After 10 minutes of this, I decide that's to do or die time. After one of his pulls, I just roll off the front. It's just me against the wind. The next ten minutes has the gap slowly decrease, while my body starts playing "ding-dong" at the house of pain. When I finally close the gap I start my " Sounds like an old French Wh*re" act. Gasping for breath, and making sounds like a zombie. I manage to pull that act for the last 5 laps of the race. Just before the bell, the rider who originally broke away caught us. Of course, we clamped on to him like a leach. Going into the final turn, I guessed that "Mr mid-season form" wasn't going to sprint, so I made sure that the rider on his wheel was boxed between me and the curb. I was the first to go, and that's where the ugly part started. While winding up, my back wheel must of hit a bump and bounced into the air. I had to sit to regain control of the bike. That's when the other rider that I was sprinting against caught up to me. I dug in again and the exact same thing happened. That was it. I couldn't close that gap, but at least I out-sprinted the third guy in our little group. Overall, third place isn't terrible. second would have been better, but fourth would have been worse.
I'm still wondering how that one guy got into shape like that. Must have spent a month down south.
Here's how mine went.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=55404

"" Sounds like an old French Wh*re" act." Wish mine was only an act.

Looks like we may have snow and ice on the course with freezing temps this Sunday. Fields will be small.

TF

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
...so I went to the front and kicked up the pace enough to split the pack...
I don't need to tell you this, but for the benefit of the others:

"There are many reasons to be at the front. Don't be caught there without one."

·
24,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mistakes were made, but I didn't want to sit around and have to react to other people's moves (for a change). I just didn't expect to be attacked at that point. (pretty dumb, huh )
It's funny, one of the things that I thought about, before the race, was to make a big counter attack after someone made a big effort, in order to get one or two other riders in a break. Never thought that someone would do a solo break at this point in the season.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Spring peak?

My congratulations to you! Man, talk about a tough day in a race and still manage to pull a third place like that, even after "exploding" or near exploding, and to recover like that is REMARKABLE! Your competitive spirit will never let you quit.
MR_GRUMPY said:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts