Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crit.

Course- Counter clockwise oval. No sharp turns. 1 foot elevation change per lap. VERY fast.

Race- Very fast pace. Many attacks. I felt good. I felt strong. Field looked tired. Everytime I went to the front, pack would string out. One guy was ALWAYS on my wheel whenever I moved up. Did I mention I felt good?

Last 2 laps- one team takes the front and opens up the pace. Pack doesn't string out. I start moving up from about halfway down a 40 man field (bad move- should have moved up sooner). I hear the bell and I'm about 3rd row from the front. I look ahead and see one rider getting very tired. Very squirrly. I think to myself- stay the eff away. 3 turns go by. Pace picks up even more. I feel GREAT. Winded, but I feel like I can still drop 3 gears and open up a REALLY good sprint. The final turn, the squirrly rider touches wheels with the front man and goes down. His bike goes one way, he goes the other way and starts sliding on the pavement. I get caught right behind the bike. I run over his handlebars and eat it.

Race over.

Bike racing. :(

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Argentius said:
Damn!

You okay? Bike okay?
Everyone was fine. The original guy was a bit road-rashed up. Actually he was really hosed. But other than that, fine.

My white handlebar tape got all scuffed up and dirty. I'm a bit anal about that. Oh well. Time to replace. :(

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
well that's what you get crit racing with white tape!

Hah, are you one of those "I buy bar tape in the team-sized dispensers" guys?

I'm not as bad as some of my teammates "well, if there's ANY bar tape left, there's no need to replace it," but I'll tolerate quite a few scuffs, heh.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Argentius said:
well that's what you get crit racing with white tape!

Hah, are you one of those "I buy bar tape in the team-sized dispensers" guys?

I'm not as bad as some of my teammates "well, if there's ANY bar tape left, there's no need to replace it," but I'll tolerate quite a few scuffs, heh.

Yes! lol.

My teammates think I'm crazy. I get them at wholesale... around 10 rolls at a time. I have to reorder twice a year. And I'm very partictular about the kind! No sticky backing, and thin!

Its partially about looking sexy. ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
makes me feel less bad about missing the weekend....glad you and bike are ok, similar thing happend to me in the crit at army where i had to avoid a crash/ get bumped a bunch and break 2 spokes 3rd to last lap - sprint 2nd to last lap and have nothiing left once i rejoined the pack for a finish

on the bright side this weekend i got a ncie 50 miler in with my dad sat. and got back early enough to go out for an easy 40 miler this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
easy, meh! I wish.

I missed the race this weekend, too (no transportation!), and so I decided I was going to do some climb intervals.

There's a ridge that gains 145m right near my house, and there's about 10 ways to go up it. I decided I was going to do a hill interval session and hammer. up. every. one. The first version takes 2.5km to gain the elevation. The last one takes just under 1200m. Ouch!
80km, 2hrs 50 min, 1500 m climbing. I'm friggin' fried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.