Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you can check out the course layout here.
www.rockymountainroadclub.org

A new course for the 37th year of this Colorado classic crit. Well, sorta a crit... It's 2 miles long but we ran it as a crit as the wheel pit was dual sided.

It was only my second time racing this one as this year and the previous couple I've worn the race director's hat. Thanks to great support from my club RMRC and help from RMSS i was able to actually race it this year!

Didn't have my hopes too high as I was there way too early in the morning to setup as well as a lame nights sleep worrying about loose ends.

Men's 3s BTW,
so the race starts, I'm a bit slow to get in and find myself pretty far back in the field of around 80. Lots of technical turns so it strung out pretty quick. After a few laps of feeling like crap and fighting to move up into decent position i finally found myself where i needed to be. Last couple laps i wasn't ever more then 15 back and more often then not in the top 5. The final straight is short enough for a quick leadout or enough to often come by 2 or 3 guys but not much more. It's pinched before by an off camber round-a-bout where we go 3/4 the way around it. The straight before it is the latch ditch effort for placement and that is proceded by a tough acute left turn on part of the new course. I hit that left corner in very good position, 2nd or third wheel. had to put in a hard effort with some risk to get there. Aproaching the round-a-bout there was a lot of fighting for the front. The road was wide and i got stuck in the middle not able to jump into an advancing group. Entered the turn in about 12th after picking off a couple spots. Out of the corner it was on. Then bam! Crash ahead center of the road with a bike flying. Must have gotten his wheel chopped. I moved left and a couple guys on the right side had to touch the brakes. I unleashed one of my best sprints gaining positions like it was going out of style. Got darn close to nipping 3rd place. The top 2 were just ahead of him and i was doing at least 5mph more then any of them. Just ran out of real estate.

sure felt good to do good on our course.

anyone else do that race? Please let me know how you liked the expanded course.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Good shew.
Doing well always puts a spring in your step.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
fleck said:
you can check out the course layout here.
www.rockymountainroadclub.org

sure felt good to do good on our course.

anyone else do that race? Please let me know how you liked the expanded course.
I did the P,1,2 race. Definitely like the expanded course a lot, although there are a couple of pretty ugly turns (and I have some newly shaved down pedals to prove it). Then again, we're all grown ups here and in my race, at least, I only saw one guy eat it (although I heard afterward that there were a bunch on crashes but back toward the middle of the field). And the turn that I saw him crash in was that really bad decreasing radius left hander two turns before the finishing straight. He was in 3rd position going into the corner too. And I later saw exactly how that happened as I almost crashed in the same spot trying to bridge from the chase group to the break with a lap or two to go. I attacked and tried to bridge the gap, slowed for the turn, leaned all the way, dodged the gate on the inside, dodged the photographers, and ran all the way up in the gutter on the exit still at full lean. Even though I had taken that turn for about 70 minutes already at that point, I still wasn't prepared for how bad it was at full on attack speed. It's a scary turn.

The other bad turn is the first roundabout you hit after the start finish. You're leaned all the way to the right and then have lean all the way to the left and the road gets higher. On every lap, all I could hear there were pedals scraping (mine too). What's the reason that we don't go on the other side of that roundabout so it's not so bad of a transition?

Don't get me wrong - this was the best race of the year. The atmosphere, organization, and set up were top notch. I will say that it's not a great course but it's a fantastic venue, if that makes sense. I don't know if I would do the first race of the year (short course in March or whatever) but this time of the year on the long course is something that I'll definitely do again. I really liked it.

One last thing, I know that not everyone faces the same issues with the course that the P/1/2 race has. It's just that we don't have any slow laps and the fast laps are, well, fast. If there's a bad spot on the course, trust us to make it worse. Nobody does anything that stupid but just about every guy out there (after the first 30 minutes, anyway) has decent skills and reasonable power so no one's backing off. It makes for 75 minutes of constant near misses at an average speed of 50.2 kph on a course like that. Not a big deal but something to think about.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean about that hard left hander on the north side of the course. Unfortunatly it's our only option to get back to the rest of the course. The road off to the right returns back eventually to the final round-a-bout but it's in terrible condition as well as having several fixed bollards in the center of the road. If/when they repave that i might try to convince the city to not fix any of the bollards. What makes that really tough is the after the road crowns in the center it tapers to the outside quite steep. If you're not ending your turn by the road's center you're moving right pretty fast. We had a few messes there. At least the grass to the right is an easy bunny hop escape.

We've got the second roun't about in there which is chased up by the left hairpin to add a more technical aspect. when we went around MLK it was good to have that to keep riders from hitting that 4 wide. Now with the north bound direction perhaps we take the earlier turn off and eliminate the hairpin for a faster exit. (or head right) Great suggestion. I'll explore that with some teamates. (unfortunatly tought to often test as there is plenty of traffic there even at odd hours!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.