Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this race report makes sense:

Cat 5 race, 8:00 am.

I've been riding tues/thursday hammerfest for 3 years now?... I definitely know more people to talk to and who is involved in racing, etc....

Within the last 2 years, there is this 24 yr old guy who's really improved (and I've improved too). I've been thinking about the idea lately of helping out someone who really deserves it if I ever had the chance (like this guy).. I mean we both could have settle for 10-15 position s in mid pack. But why not give it up my chances and get someone I know a higher spot?

I'm not on his team, but the tues/thurs ride is practically their team ride...and I usually am just trying to hang on (which I've managed in the last month or so)..

Well, I saw him at the beginning of the race today.. and lined up with him..he only had 1 team mate, down from 3 that had signed up. So we were talking some.. just chit chat..

The race course is 11 laps, 14.3 miles.

Well, no major surges, no primes in the race (womens race had a prime like every lap, WTF?).. anyways, people seemed to pull for a little, but give up quickly.. I saw some guys trying to pull off the front, and EVERYONE ELSE TRYING TO FOLLOW HIM AND KEEP HIM PULLING HAHAHA).. Come to about lap 8, I find him the guy in the group.. he asks what my strategy is... I told him straight up, I'm going to lead you out. As I was saying that - things got really tight, and we leaned on each other.. never had that happen b4.. but we straightened up and the field relaxed and we had room again.. He replied something like, OK COOL. So it was on.

So I start moving up trying to find a way to the front, not going too early or anything stupid.

So I'm fighting to keep position on laps 9, 10... and getting a little bit worried that I'm going to mess him up by having us sit too far back... we might have been about 15th?

But then the last lap happened.. I started taking wind on the outside (there was a line of riders on the right side). So I started another train on the left, and just hoped to hell he was still on my wheel. I took the outside line through corner 1, and I pulled hard into the wind.. made it through corner 2 on the outside.. I still saw a right inside line... I made it down that straight away shooting for the final corner #.. in total, it was about .7 miles before I blew up.. I was starting to break down and go slower and I saw the right lane finally surging past.. he was doomed if he stayed on my wheel any longer... the cold weather really messes with me.. I had an undershirt on and knee warmers on..and it still didn't help.

I wanted to pull him around into corner #3 which has a quick 15-25ft rise, and then it is a long fast 30 mph downhill. I couldn't make corner 3, but I got him 20 ft before it.. he hopped onto some other guys wheel and into second place down the hill to the finish line.

I had totally pulled off the course and stopped as my quads were finished and I just pedaled slowly back to the finish.. I caught up with him after the race to find out how he did, and he managed 3rd place. He said he got on that guys wheel, and said that someone else sprinted around both of them... He admitted he needs to work on his sprint, as he didn't get out of the saddle and probably wasn't in the right gear.

His teammate finished 15th. So much for help from him.. We might have gotten him 1st place if he helped us out.

He shared some of his goody bag prizes.. so all was not lost for me.

The race was slow compared to previous years (field of 37? vs 50.. avg speed of 22 vs 24..).. and the cooler weather made it more difficult for me at least (52F race time).. as I think I would have made it through the corner and over the hill at least on a warmer 80F day...

This new line of thought was surprising for me.. I am very individualistic (even in sports such as volleyball).. but i guess I've been thinking lately - why not do something instead of becoming middle of the pack finisher.. been there, done that.. I could have tried my own agenda again... and ended up pulling someone else I don't know to a good position... and finishing off the back... or just hanging out in the middle, getting bunched up in the last turn,and finishing 20th.. (as some other guy I know from tues/thurs complained about).. Cuz you accordion on the uphill in the corner and then on to the downhill - you can forget about sprinting around the first 5 through the turn as they will have gone through the corner full speed and have such a massive head start on you..

so anyways - finishing next to last this time never felt so good. (I just hope I don't become discouraged at some point and lose this train of thought).

p.s. it is amazing to see the upper level guys just go off the front, speed around a couple laps, and not seemed fazed at all..that's totally amazing.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
After several years of being "safe" and worried about what might happen, your decision was a good one. The worst thing would be that you blew up. At least you would know that you did your best and also tried something new rather than just sit in the pack. Good on you!

·
Banned
207 Posts
Well done

and that schwag looks pretty nice (just don't use the carabiner to hold anything heavier than a set of keys or maybe a water bottle).

Hopefully, that guy will be able to return the favor someday.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Racing is a thrill, isn't it?!

Just wait until you start training for 10hrs/wk, move up to cat4, and start finishing at the front of cat4 races. You'll do a 12mi solo TT (on your normal bike) and average 23mph and look back and think "damn, I wish I could be in cat5 right now tearing the legs off everyone!"

When you learn how to do a proper leadout (ie, not blowing up until 100-150m from the line), you're almost guaranteed a top 10 placing in the cat4/5 races, and your teammate will consistently do top 3-5. Congrats on the cool swag!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iliveonnitro said:
Just wait until you start training for 10hrs/wk, move up to cat4, and start finishing at the front of cat4 races. You'll do a 12mi solo TT (on your normal bike) and average 23mph and look back and think "damn, I wish I could be in cat5 right now tearing the legs off everyone!"

*gulp* :eek:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,465 Posts
Helping someone finish well, gives you a nice feeling, but I can tell you that "finishing next to first", feels a whole lot better. (specially when the guy that beats you is one of the "cycling gods")

·
Registered
7 Posts
More pictures?

You don't happen to have any pictures of that Cat 5 race? I am trying to track down the photographer who was just past the finish line. I was the guy who flatted just before turn 1 with 3 laps to go...

Was riding 4th-5th wheel the whole race until then. It was a fairly easy pace too.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
calhoun1 said:
You don't happen to have any pictures of that Cat 5 race? I am trying to track down the photographer who was just past the finish line. I was the guy who flatted just before turn 1 with 3 laps to go...

Was riding 4th-5th wheel the whole race until then. It was a fairly easy pace too.

I remember that!!

I was like WTF, that dude is probably headed to the gutter and going over the curb..and it looked like you locked up the back wheel slowing to stop...

So you were the only guy I beat? LOL.. I thought we lapped another guy...:confused: I don't know how I finished 2nd to last then... oh well... :(

Sorry, my friend who I lug around to take my photos called off sick that morning, so no pictures :( :mad2:

Yes, definitely easy pace compared to full 50 man field of previous years...

·
Registered
7 Posts
There was another guy who was off the back. I waited around the finish after I flatted to see it.

And there was a guy that came through way after the field. But yea I was hoping for a top 5... That photographer got a great picture of me walking back to the line carrying my helmet... my face is bound to be priceless... A mixture of anger and disappointment...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
calhoun1 said:
There was another guy who was off the back. I waited around the finish after I flatted to see it.

And there was a guy that came through way after the field. But yea I was hoping for a top 5... That photographer got a great picture of me walking back to the line carrying my helmet... my face is bound to be priceless... A mixture of anger and disappointment...
That was probably me.. I had to catch my breath as I was blown.

They probably put you in the DNF column.. and that other guy who was off the back was the one I beat.

The accordion effect in that last corner is the worst on the finishing lap. You gotta be first 5 through to get to the finish in top spot.

If I could have only made it through the corner I could have at least finished with the field... :mad2:

Hey - if you find the photographer let me know - I'd like to see some pics too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will let you know if I find the pictures. Hopefully they will pop up on the MABRA email sometime in the next week or so

I was sitting in top 5 the whole time. Just sucking wheel to be ready for the sprint. If only there had been a free lap...*shrug* at least I didn't crash.

And you mentioned that you ride with the ABRT/Latitude guys on Tue/Thur?

I come out on Thursdays... have yet to hang on for the full 30 miles, but it is a great training ride. Really helps me push hard.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
calhoun1 said:
I will let you know if I find the pictures. Hopefully they will pop up on the MABRA email sometime in the next week or so

I was sitting in top 5 the whole time. Just sucking wheel to be ready for the sprint. If only there had been a free lap...*shrug* at least I didn't crash.

And you mentioned that you ride with the ABRT/Latitude guys on Tue/Thur?

I come out on Thursdays... have yet to hang on for the full 30 miles, but it is a great training ride. Really helps me push hard.
Might find someone who knows the guy on this list: http://groups.google.com/group/mabra-uscf/topics

No, I ride with WWVC (mostly) training rides in Springfield, VA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea I sent a query out already on this list.

Ok, I had assumed it was Latitude you were referring to as there were 2 of them at the Cat 5 race as well.

I just want to see some pictures of me on the bike. So I can judge my own position etc.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
you just experienced team tactics..

without having a team! nice work!! good for you.
we did the same for a Cat. 4 guys on our team who really wanted to upgrade this past summer. There was a five week race series in town of which he did really well on his own for the first race. The rest of us blew up (hadn't been training much in June) early and did the pack finish thing..

So, since he was in contention to win the series we all stepped up and towed him around the course for the remaining 4 weeks...he ended up getting 2nd overall with another 2nd place and 1st place finish, earning his upgrade. It was actually really satisfying to lead him out at 37mph until about 100 yards from the finish and then just sit up and listen to all the guys behind us cursing and having to slow down and dodge me... :D

team tactics work if you've got people that want to work together (not very often in cat 3. or lower)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found the pictures

https://velophotos.phanfare.com/album/415465/574539

And me specifically:(I am in the red long sleeve jersey)

https://velophotos.phanfare.com/show/external/415465/574539/26793210/file.jpg
https://velophotos.phanfare.com/show/external/415465/574539/26793206/file.jpg

This next one you can see my rear is flat. I was still trying to figure out what the weird noise my bike was making... Finally realized it was a flat...
https://velophotos.phanfare.com/show/external/415465/574539/26793250/file.jpg

And me walking back to the line after the flat... Great picture.
https://velophotos.phanfare.com/show/external/415465/574539/26793363/file.jpg

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
calhoun1 said:
https://velophotos.phanfare.com/album/415465/574539

And me specifically:(I am in the red long sleeve jersey)

https://velophotos.phanfare.com/show/external/415465/574539/26793210/file.jpg
https://velophotos.phanfare.com/show/external/415465/574539/26793206/file.jpg

This next one you can see my rear is flat. I was still trying to figure out what the weird noise my bike was making... Finally realized it was a flat...
https://velophotos.phanfare.com/show/external/415465/574539/26793250/file.jpg

And me walking back to the line after the flat... Great picture.
https://velophotos.phanfare.com/show/external/415465/574539/26793363/file.jpg
Thanks dude!

I'm behind my friend who I led out, in the orange:

https://velophotos.phanfare.com/album/415465/574539#imageID=26793179

He's the guy who came in 3rd.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts