Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under threatening skies, I lined up with some of "big guns" of the area, along with a former national masters crit champion. After seeing the caliber of riders that I was up against, my first thought was that I had a very slim chance to repeat my breakaway win that got, the last time in was on this course, last month.
After the first few laps, the pressure started being applied, and riders started to fly off the back. About half-way through that race, two of the stronger riders managed to slip away, and things started to get goofy. There were just a few of us who seemed to want to pull the break back. a couple of the "motors" seemed content to let others do the work. After 10 minutes, I realized that we were pulling them back in, so I went to the back of the group.
We caught them on the downhill leg, and made the turn before the hill. Every seemed very tired from the chase, and they all went wide in the turn up the hill. I took it close, and gave it just about everything I had, up the inside. When I looked back, at the top on the hill, they were all just sitting around, waiting for somebody else to chase. I kept on pushing the pace, and kept gaining a little each lap. After checking the lap counter, I realized that it was a possibility that this might just stick.............That's when it happened.......
The former nat'l masters crit champion decides to bridge. He jumps, and the pack goes crazy. This guy is strong, and manages to catch me. As he comes around me, he says, "lets go." When someone of that caliber says, "Lets go", you go.
It would be memorable to say that we stayed away, but there was no way that the chase group would let this guy get away. Another half lap, and they were on us.
With only 4 laps to go, I was pretty well blown, so I rode the train until the sprint. I didn't have much left, and ended up with a 6th. Out of the money, out of the medals, and out of luck.
I probably would do the same thing if the same situation happens again. There is always the chance that a gamble might work, and you can't beat the feeling you get when the announcer and crowd are calling out your name.
Next week, same course.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Under threatening skies, I lined up with some of "big guns" of the area, along with a former national masters crit champion. After seeing the caliber of riders that I was up against, my first thought was that I had a very slim chance to repeat my breakaway win that got, the last time in was on this course, last month.
After the first few laps, the pressure started being applied, and riders started to fly off the back. About half-way through that race, two of the stronger riders managed to slip away, and things started to get goofy. There were just a few of us who seemed to want to pull the break back. a couple of the "motors" seemed content to let others do the work. After 10 minutes, I realized that we were pulling them back in, so I went to the back of the group.
We caught them on the downhill leg, and made the turn before the hill. Every seemed very tired from the chase, and they all went wide in the turn up the hill. I took it close, and gave it just about everything I had, up the inside. When I looked back, at the top on the hill, they were all just sitting around, waiting for somebody else to chase. I kept on pushing the pace, and kept gaining a little each lap. After checking the lap counter, I realized that it was a possibility that this might just stick.............That's when it happened.......
The former nat'l masters crit champion decides to bridge. He jumps, and the pack goes crazy. This guy is strong, and manages to catch me. As he comes around me, he says, "lets go." When someone of that caliber says, "Lets go", you go.
It would be memorable to say that we stayed away, but there was no way that the chase group would let this guy get away. Another half lap, and they were on us.
With only 4 laps to go, I was pretty well blown, so I rode the train until the sprint. I didn't have much left, and ended up with a 6th. Out of the money, out of the medals, and out of luck.
I probably would do the same thing if the same situation happens again. There is always the chance that a gamble might work, and you can't beat the feeling you get when the announcer and crowd are calling out your name.
Next week, same course.
Good job. I couldn't make it, but I just looked at the results and the fields looked mean in all the ages. I really wanted to go because I thought that all the big guns would be at the Mount Carroll RR. - TF

·
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The roads got wet for the last half of the 40+ race.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Did he get the victory or did someone else?

MR_GRUMPY said:
Next week, same course.

·
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, he took third. The guys who played it smart, took first and second.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
How much of a hill does that course have?

A local crit series I've been doing is non-flat, and I thought the little hill would change things, but it doesn't, except that the sprint is 27 mph instead of 35 (or whatever). It always seems to come back together in the downhill chute following...

Another friend's series has a 100-foot-per-.8-mile-lap hill, and she says it rips people apart.

·
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was about 40-50 ft per lap.

·
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not only that, but the announcer (from my club) called a priem for the chase group, while I was away. (I have yet to discuss this with her)

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Grumpy, where was this race?

·
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wood Dale, IL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.