Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a dark and rainy night...............Well, it was dark and there was a light drizzle. It was in the low 50's, like it has been all week. The cold and the rain must have caused a few people to have second thoughts about racing today, cuz the field was pretty small. My team-mate and I discussed this and decided to try to take advantage of this. After the first lap, we began the ol' rope-a-dope. First, he would attack on the start finish hill, and then on the next lap, I would do the same. This seemed to be working pretty good, until at the 20 minute mark, my rear flatted. On the way to the wheel pits, the wheel felt really funny. Every revolution there was distinct thump like a flat clincher when the tube balls up in it. Well, I make it around to the pits to take my "free lap" and I'm soon ready to roll again. I rejoined the leading group at the rear and after sitting in a lap to regain my legs, we begin the attacks again. My partner is a better sprinter than I am, so he always gets a quick gap, but he sucks at time trialing, so is usually pulled back within half a lap. After doing this for quite some time, I went off and just buried myself. When I looked back, I had a pretty good sized gap, and could see that my partner was just sitting in. To make a long story short, I kept gaining a few seconds every lap, until a rolled across the finish 3/4 of a lap ahead. My team-mate out sprinted everyone else for second place for a picture-perfect team finish. He also did double duty and raced the next race also (and did fairly well also) Since I didn't have a spare rear any more (and because I was pretty tired) I decided to pass on racing twice.
As for my "screwed" comments in the title, see the attached pictures.
.As you can see, the screw went all the way through the tire and even left a mark on the inside of the rim. Rim's OK but the CX is shot.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I put a roofing nail through a sprinter and a GEL280 rim. Wasn't during a race, luckily I could work the tire side to side to get the nail out of the rim. Nice job on the race, it is a good feeling when your stategery works.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hard not to do something when you've got a good team-mate and everybody else is working for themselves. This could never have happened with a large field.
It's always nice when things work out exactly as you planned them. Usually, it's the things that you don't think about that come around to bite you in the rear. I could have run over that screw with just two laps to go, and I would have been SOL. It's funny, just two weeks ago, I was reading an email from our elite team where they pulled the same thing in a NRC race out west. They managed to pull out a 1st, 3rd, and 4th by using team-work, along with a little luck.
Yes, I wasn't very crabby afterwords. I even offered some of my prize money to my team-mate. (and that's an event to make the Earth shake)

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
bigbill said:
I put a roofing nail through a sprinter and a GEL280 rim. Wasn't during a race, luckily I could work the tire side to side to get the nail out of the rim. Nice job on the race, it is a good feeling when your stategery works.

Fcuking roofing nails! I put one through a Sprinter on a Bora . Luckily it didn't do anything to the rim. God I love Campy.

Nice job on the win Grump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.