Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the first event of the year yesterday - an indoor time trial. They enter the weight of you and your bike into the computer hooked up to a Computrainer and off you go. This one was a perfectly flat 10k (6.2 miles).

I gave it everything I had for a time of 16:18.3 for 9th in the 50+ catagory (278 Watts, 22.8mph). I sat at 96% of my (supposed) MaxHR from the end of the first mile to about half way through the 6th. I then started building through the finish line and hit a new Max of 200 BPM. I've never seen over 196 before. I pedaled for about 30 sec, sat up and almost fell off. I ain't got no more.

These old guys in the 50+ are just going nuts. In 2002 that time would have been good enough for second place. This year it wasn't even in the top half. Structured cycling training has hit the real world with a vengence - guess I'll have to quit just reading about it and do it.

TF

·
Registered
87 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Did the first event of the year yesterday - an indoor time trial. They enter the weight of you and your bike into the computer hooked up to a Computrainer and off you go. This one was a perfectly flat 10k (6.2 miles).

I gave it everything I had for a time of 16:18.3 for 9th in the 50+ catagory (278 Watts, 22.8mph). I sat at 96% of my (supposed) MaxHR from the end of the first mile to about half way through the 6th. I then started building through the finish line and hit a new Max of 200 BPM. I've never seen over 196 before. I pedaled for about 30 sec, sat up and almost fell off. I ain't got no more.

These old guys in the 50+ are just going nuts. In 2002 that time would have been good enough for second place. This year it wasn't even in the top half. Structured cycling training has hit the real world with a vengence - guess I'll have to quit just reading about it and do it.

TF
278 watts is not bad! As long as you don't have a horrid position, that should give you significantly better than 16:20 on the road.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts