Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first race on Saturday, the Crossin' 4 Canines CX race. It was the 2nd year for this race up in Rocky Hill Ct we had 49 riders in the mens Cat 4 aka "Cat 2,3,4 sandbaggers class", up from 31 last year which was nice to see. I get there meet Krisdrum, bs a bit, go out to practice and i see that the course is completely different from last year and in my opinion, much much better!! On my first lap of practice my new ghetto tubeless rear tire burps and then blows out.....back to the car, rip it all apart and put a tube in it, so much for that idea, go out and practice some more. Time for line up, and i realize i finally have pit wheels...and they are still leaning on the car.....i am on fire today!!!! Out to car come back and i find that i will be starting near the rear of the field, oh well, what can you do. As the race marshall is giving instructions he notes that a guy has his number on wrong, he finds the guy and tells him and the guy is like "ok, i'll get it right next time"...ummm no goes the marshall, fix it now or don't race.... guess where he is standing...yup right next to me, so i lean over and help him with his # and two guys go occupy the space i was in, now i am starting dead last on the field, i am laughing to myself at this point. So the whislte blows and we go....slowly.....get to the first turn and it is impossible to pass, i finally start picking guys off in 2's and 3's and by the end of the first lap i have gotten to about 17th, the leaders are gone so i try to settle into the 180 bpm death march and hold or get a few more spots. I pass a few guys and some of the guys that paced better that I, pass me back, all in all i think i lost 4 maybe 5 spots back on laps 2 and 3, the rush to mid pack definitely hurt me on lap 2 and 3. By lap 4 it was me and one other guy duking it out for about 22nd, we would go back and forth, and at the end of the 4th i had a good lead on him, by 1/3 through the 5th and final lap he closed the gap, but i knew he was toast, so when he got to me, i turned it up a bit and dropped him again......then....WHAMMO rear tire blows out......FARG!!!!!!! I need tubbies, so i start jogging with my bike and have bout half lap to go, so i start counting riders as they go by...1...2...3 and so on. I get out of the rear dirt rock section and get to grass and jump back on my bike and finish on a flat, man was it a handful in the grass corners with a flat rear. Ended up 31st, so i lost 8-9 places with the flat. I was very happy with the race, my weight loss and full season of Crit racing helped tremendously, now i just need to get a better start spot.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Day 1 of USGP in Sun Prairie: Registered day of for the 45+ and started at the back of the field. I worked my way up to 42nd on the last lap before crashing in the downhill horseshoe. Finished 43rd on the lead lap. (7 laps) I hyperextended my left hip a bit in the wipe-out, perhaps it's a hip sprain. It's hard to walk but after some Ibuprofen last night I was fine. This morning it's a bit achey but the fresh dose of Vitamin I hasn't kicked in yet. I'll give today's race a shot in a bit over 2 hours from now.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I was at Rocky Hill with Rude. I mirror his comments above, but don't have the benefit of his weight loss (way to go man) and consistent racing this spring/summer with some good fast guys. Ended up leading the rear group for much of the race. Battling it out with a guy on a full suspension mtn bike! In the end, he pulled away, as we started getting lapped by the leaders. I lost contact on the last 1/4 lap. So I ended up 8 from the end, but I did beat 7 other guys and had what I think it a bit of a breakthrough. I embraced the pain cave. I got rid of negative thoughts and just focused on my breathing and cadence and doing what I could to keep myself just below that "puke" zone. That felt like a real victory to me, even though I faded a bit towards the end. I think I would have have the dualie at the end if I had been able to hang with him. So, lesson learned: prepare yourself mentally for the pain cave and embrace it, it can be your friend.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Ed Sanders today. had this feeling that my day wasn't going to go so well. All started when I pegged a cardinal with my windshield on my way to the race.

did a short warm up with a buddy of mine (today was his first cross race) and then we went out to do our pre ride. everything was going pretty well until i went over the first barrier. soon as I dismounted and my left foot hit the ground WHAM! pulled groin.

obviously I didn't warm up enough and/or my groin was still injured from last weekends Charm City. Other than it beeing a bit tight i didn't really think anything was going to happen.

Desparate for some relief i put some embrocation on it to help warm it up and numb any pain i had. Yes......didn't feel good on the balls, but at this point I didn't give a phock.

race started. did ok over the barriers, winded through the ponds and started out on the first straight away to the back 9. came around this corner, through my peripheral I saw Andreas from BCC? coming up along side. he picked a bad line and ended up going right into a ditch. I heard him go over, looked back and saw him hit the ground top of the head first. slowed down, asked if he was ok and the poor guy started screaming for help.

me, my buddy who was right behind him when it happened and another guy stopped to help. he moved off the course and we had him lay there while one of the guys who stopped went back for help. We set up perimeter to keep the other riders away from him until help got there. You should've seen his helmet. Completely shattered.

Eventually the paramedic on staff got there and I held C-spine while he checked him out while waiting for EMS. Luckily he could move everything, felt no pain anywhere other than a stiff neck, bruised forehead, eye lids from where his glasses hit, bloody nose and a cracked moler. (spit out part of his tooth)

Rescue got there, back boarded him and took him to the hospital. sounded like he was going to be ok. Not sure if he's a member on here, but if he is, hope you are ok dude.

I'm pretty bummed I didn't get to finish the race. Stopping was the right thing to do though...I'd only hope the same would've been done for me. Probably best anyways considering my groin was jacked up.

The race promoter Eric was pretty cool, he said to contact him and he'd take care of me. Thor had suggested I also just notify the guys back at registration what I and done so they knew i truely didn't DNF. When I did I kinda got the deer eyes in the head lights from one of the guys. he was pretty cool though.....but the lady who was starting the racers had stopped by the table while i was talking to the guy at the computer and she just brushed me off saying "well, it's a DNF" I told the guy " I know you are busy....I'll take off". All things considered, what i did and what i was there to do i wasn't too happy with her response.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did the Rocky Hill race too. I was in the 3/4 race at 1:15. It should be noted they didn't have a Pro 1/2/3 race so my race was open to them (maybe the earlier race was too?). Anyways, it was my first CX race and since I don't have a cross bike, I did it on my singlespeed mountain bike. Finished 7th out of 32. During the race I was thinking how much I was hating it, but now I'm thinking I want more.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Rochester UCI weekend. Saturday did the masters race as I had to get back for a wedding. Took the lead at the top of the climb but on end of first lap pegged by by andy melenchenco. We rode the rest of the race together, i was getting away on downhills, but getting caught going up. Kind of a tough course with a ton of climbing. In the end I took the sprint for the win of both 35 and 45 mas (i'm 48).

Sunday UCI elite race was a mess for me, had OK start but rolled a tire half off in first 3 mins, swapped out for a spare which was too soft, so stopped in pit to pump it up some, now in last. Worked up a few palaced. With 3 to go rolled second tire, now bingo spares. Mooched a tire off a friend for last two laps. Won money despite being lapped and generally sucking big time.

Need to figure out what I'm doing wrong or switch to clincher tires.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Oof! "Battle At Barlow" today- great fun!
Massive suffering, google it and watch the railroad tie "run up"...:cryin: :cryin:
I started 1/3 back, finished up mid-pack. I guess that's not too bad for first race of the season. MAN, that run up just sucked the life-force right out of you. I always had energy for the runup, but afterwards, I'd just be blown.

This was my wife's very first race eVar! She did great, even though she thought she didn't. I was hella-proud just for her finishing. :thumbsup:
The women get kinda screwed (um...), since the course is totally shagged out by the time they run (and they all run together- WTF?)

Yesterday in Portland was 82 degrees and wall-to-wall sunshine. Today, rain showers and high humidity (for the West Coast, lol)- a nice intro to 'Cross season! :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
c-lo said:
The race promoter Eric was pretty cool, he said to contact him and he'd take care of me. Thor had suggested I also just notify the guys back at registration what I and done so they knew i truely didn't DNF. When I did I kinda got the deer eyes in the head lights from one of the guys. he was pretty cool though.....but the lady who was starting the racers had stopped by the table while i was talking to the guy at the computer and she just brushed me off saying "well, it's a DNF" I told the guy " I know you are busy....I'll take off". All things considered, what i did and what i was there to do i wasn't too happy with her response.
What else would there be to mark you as, other than DNF? You really did not finish the race.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Day 2 of the USGP in Madison saw a faster course and less technical sections. I loosened my sprained hip enough to feel like making a go of it. It sux getting old. I moved up from the last row to somewhere around 46th but felt fine all race.

·
Student of cycling
98 Posts
CCCX#2. It was hot, dusty, and sandy. We could sure use a little rain out here in Nor Cal. Now that I have said that it will probably rain everyday straight, until June. Seems to be how it goes out here.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I raced Whirlybird Sunday- the course was packed hard and choppy in spots, dusty in others. Good off-camber sections but it was more a power course than a driver's course. My result was simple cause+effect. Cause- Not enough training, not enough sleep, and not eating right for the past two weeks = poor race performance. It was to be expected though since I knew how unprepared I was for this one. Still had a lot of fun, saw a lot of friends, and still enjoyed the day. I guess its time for me to sack up and really do the work needed for the results I am hoping for!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Es Sander cross. After chatting with c-lo (he parked right next to me), got warmed up on the trainer. Thor designed the course and told me it was the same, so I didn' pre-ride. Figured it would be fast, and it was. Lined up on the wrong side of mid-pack and just decided to peg it at the start to gain some places. I did just that and was in decent shape coming into the barriers, then headed into the ponds. No place to pass there so it was status-quo until the climb up to the back 9. It was there that I knew I had gone too hard at the start. Made it up and climbed the run-up where there was a cluster-f*ck of about 6 guys at the top. Ugghh. Finally remounted and took entirely the wrong line over to the steep run/ride-up; hit the tape and went down before it. More passed me. So much for my good start. Finally settled in and picked off a few; mostly on the descent and power sections. Don't know where I placed (results *still* weren't posted an hour after the finish) but felt pretty good. Saw the carnage that c-lo stopped for; good on him and the others for helping him out. Thos kept giving me encouragement as I passed and it was good to see faces I hadn't seen since last yr. Beer and waffles on the back 9 made it a good day:thumbsup: Photo by Jim Wilson.

·
Registered
79 Posts
First race weekend in 5 years!!

Have spent the last 5 years supporting my kids XC, road and cross, travel ,feedzone,mech..etc.
built a house , and had heart surgery Sept. 26,2009.no racing since cross season 05, I think.
Mountain, road and cross bike for fitness but no specific training.bought a late season license just for cross. couple of tuesday nighters since beg. of sept. and here goes. riding a 2010 Kona major jake. Helped with course set up on friday afternoon after two nightshifts at work. My club, ERTC was organizer for sat/25th."School of cross" designed by Aaron Schooler who had just got home from racing the pro class at Cross Vegas.Very tough world cup style course. unrideable sand pits,steep sketchy XC style descent,a million grass corners,
stair run up off cambers ,run ups,etc. What a welcome back to,in my case, 40 mins. in Hell. started on the back row of sport class field of 40.pretty sure I was by far one of the oldest at 48 yrs. but in my mind I'm still 30 max!moved up about 10 places in the first couple of corners then the pain slammed me . Got passed , and fought back . was fast through tecnical features but had no answer for long grass flats etc. i could gain in corners, barriers etc. just to give it back on longer pedaling sections.gained a gap on the back of the pack gang I was dicing with on the last lap stair run up and held on. I doubt there are many things on this earth that are as exruciating as a cross race when you are not in race shape. What a blast! finished 29th which sucked but when I put in perspective was O.K. Did it again on sunday on the same course run in reverse direction and slightly modified. More torture ,more exhillaration! finished 25th.today my ankles are siezed up from running in the deep sand and my goal is to get inside the top 10 by the end of our cross season here (first week Nov.)in Alberta. Great weekend!, great people!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts