Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday was my 1st race at the Tour de Waterloo, in Waterloo Ontario. I had signed up for this race specifically because I am a para cyclist with Cerebral Palsy. Handcycling.ca had petitioned the race organizers to include a para cycling division this year and they were happy to oblige. The race included waves of 130km, 70km and 40km (my race). The para cyclists were at the front of the 40km wave. There was about 9 hand cyclists and I on a standard road bike with a few modifications.

Mark Ledo a Canadian Paralympic team member was leading us out as the race began. I quickly lost sight of him about 1km in. That guy can really lay down the power. Within 5km I had past all the other hand cyclists and caught up to the back of the 70km wave. By the time the routes split I was riding all alone. I was just trying to keep ahead of all the people in the 40km wave. I did ride with a cyclist who was riding a fixie for about 3km, until we had to starting climbing a larger hill and I motored on.

The first hour I was able to get a distance of 31.6km covered. Most of that was with nobody else in sight. At the finish line I heard that I had come in 2nd place in the para cycling division as well as 4th overall for the 40km wave. If I had only entered in my age division (40-49) I would have even got 1st in that as well.

Mark Ledo came in 1st in the division as a hand cyclist as well as 1st overall for the 40km wave. He beat the 2nd place cyclist by about 6mins, I was just under 10mins behind Mark. I am pretty pumped and stoked with the results. As a cyclist with a disability that affects my right leg and arm, I showed myself that I can hold my own with able bodied cyclists.

Now comes the thoughts what would happen if I upgrade from a CAAD 8 105 with stock wheels to a carbon bike with Di2 or Ui2? Specially I am considering the Devinci with Di2 or Trek Domane with Ui2. I am looking at endurance frames because I know that I get pretty beat up riding the aluminum frame CAAD.

Never thought 3 years ago when I got back into biking that I would love it so much, or put so much time and energy into. My riding buddy keeps trying to get me to get a carbon frame and I have even gotten the ok from the wife. I really need to get out and try those bikes I guess.

Thanks
Stephan

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Congrats.

The biggest bang for your buck upgrade will be wheels. I don't know the full extent of your disability but a one-armed triathlete I know really benefited from electronic shifting. That said, I don't see mechanical shifting to be too big of a hindrance for those of us who can shift with both hands.

All said, if you're excited about your results and want to reward yourself, there's nothing wrong with upgrading your bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
I really want electronic shifting for the many different configurations possible with secondary shifters. I want to be able to shift both from the hoods and the drops and with that kind of shifting I can put the extra shifters both on the hoods and the drops and shift just with my left hand. I wouldn't have to go from the hoods to the drops to shift the front or rear derailleur.

Stephan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.