Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a pair of races this weekend, I realize I need to get better at starting. Specifically getting into my pedals. It took me forever during my races. Is there anything I should know or do, other than go out and practice it this week? I have no problem getting in normally.
Thanks

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
Sounds like you need a prescription of "Practice make perfect." Take as many as needed until desired results have been met.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ride in town. At every stop sign treat it like a race start. Clip in fast and get up to speed fast by the time you cross the intersection. Doesn't have to be all out sprint, think of it like form sprints. Also, do a similar drill as part of your race warmup.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
What kinda pedals do you have?

Yeah, you can get good with the single-sided types, but you can't miss with a double-sided pedal like Speedplay.

Well, you can miss. But it's much harder.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have wellgo rc 713's. single sided, and not that great.
at the moment i cant really afford to get a nicer pair, i just dont have the money, and there are a ton of things on the list to buy first....a second wheelset, for example
i was planning on waiting for these to wear out, start squeeking, anything, to replace them with something nicer. if this is still an issue i guess i could look at some double sided. also if either of my parents pedals wear out then i am gonna try to give mine to them and have them buy me some nice ones.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
hah. These are collegiate omniums, then, I take it?

Failing anything else, Crank Bros Eggbeaters can be had super cheap, and are ridiculously easy to get into. They're not exactly "road race" pedals -- but...

other than that, like people say, just practice. Learn how to get the kick-and-clip into one smooth motion. Good luck!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Argentius said:
hah. These are collegiate omniums, then, I take it?
College omniums?!?

thanks for the advice, im gonna practice in the parking lot before practice 15 minutes all week and see how that goes. if that fails ill turn to ebay.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just learn to relax. I had the same problem when I started racing. Never had a problem when I was out training but I was so paranoid I would get dropped in the races that I would freak trying to get into my pedals. Once you get that confidence and the fitness to move up in the pack you will find you don't have problems clicking in anymore. Make sure you force yourself into the front row, don't be afraid to tell someone to make room.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If you're looking down at your pedal when you clip in just riding around, you need to start practicing clipping in "blind" while looking straight ahead. You might have tried to clip in blind during your race starts, but you're not yet good at it because of lack of practice.

The advice to line up in the front row is excellent. It buys you a lot of time should you fumble. Contrary to what some may want you to believe, the front row isn't reserved for experienced hot shots.

·
Registered
799 Posts
try this...

you generally will have one foot that is easier to get clipped in than the other.
at a race start with your "poor" foot already clipped in and now you are starting with having to clip in your "easy foot".

Practice your weakness - race your strengths

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
CC09 said:
After doing a pair of races this weekend, I realize I need to get better at starting. Specifically getting into my pedals. It took me forever during my races. Is there anything I should know or do, other than go out and practice it this week? I have no problem getting in normally.
Thanks
The best advice I ever got was from a former pro. Line up in the front row. When the starter says riders ready, start rolling slowly and clip in. When the starter says go, you're already clipped in and moving. As long as you're not getting a gap on the field, officials will never call you back.

·
Registered
896 Posts
mtb

if you want practice, start mountain biking, in-out, in-out all day long. That said, I've never heard of a race that was won/lost in the first 10 meters. don't sweat it, you'll get the hang of clipping in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts