Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been racing for 5 years now, and I usually don't bring any type of supplies with me in races. Especially crits. But this is a road race, 10 miles in length, with 4 laps coming up for my group.

So, my question is, should I bother to bring tubes, pump, tire levers, in the event of a flat? I remember from last year the ride is pretty much unsupported, but there is a lead car. If I flat out, I have lost the pack, and I'm not catching up after stopping to fix the flat.

Not worried about the extra weight, but just the whole idea of a seat pack during a race event creeps me out...Last year, a guy broke his pedal off at the spindle, and of course, he was toast....

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
10 miles???

ashpelham said:
I have been racing for 5 years now, and I usually don't bring any type of supplies with me in races. Especially crits. But this is a road race, 10 miles in length, with 4 laps coming up for my group.

So, my question is, should I bother to bring tubes, pump, tire levers, in the event of a flat? I remember from last year the ride is pretty much unsupported, but there is a lead car. If I flat out, I have lost the pack, and I'm not catching up after stopping to fix the flat.

Not worried about the extra weight, but just the whole idea of a seat pack during a race event creeps me out...Last year, a guy broke his pedal off at the spindle, and of course, he was toast....
That's a pretty short road race right there... 10 miles? Or is it 10 miles x 4 laps for 40 total miles?

Anyway, that aside, if there is no wheel truck, and or no other support out on the course, bring a tube and a co2 cartridge with you, that way should you get a flat, you can at least change it, and ride back in. Walking back in from the nether regions of the course always sucks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
magnolialover said:
That's a pretty short road race right there... 10 miles? Or is it 10 miles x 4 laps for 40 total miles?

Anyway, that aside, if there is no wheel truck, and or no other support out on the course, bring a tube and a co2 cartridge with you, that way should you get a flat, you can at least change it, and ride back in. Walking back in from the nether regions of the course always sucks.
Yeah, it's 4 laps of 10 miles. Man, I wish it was only ten miles. Hell, you could just TT the thing and win it outright. I'm guessing that first lap wouldn't be so slow and easy huh?

Thanks for the input. I will stuff an extra tube in the old jersey and some air, and a gu, and take off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I hate you. I can't even ride bike outside here yet. There is too much SNOW.

Ok somebody is gonna say to ride in the snow. I don't want to. I should just move to California. Screw grad school in Boston, I'll just go to California.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts