Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

I am looking for a set of race wheels. I'm 190 pounds (suck at climbing, decent sprint) and a cat 4.

I can get a set of new Ksyrium SL's for $600 (including tax) from my team, but it seems that most here prefer handbuilt wheels. Given my weight and the price of the SL's, should I get the Ksyriums, or handbuilts? If handbuilts, which ones?

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Dura Ace or Record laced to Open Pros 3x with 14/15s. 28 or 32 spokes ought to do you just fine, but play it safe over saving 60 or 80g worth of spokes on 28h wheels.

At your weight with a decent sprint, I'd consider only this route or Ksyriums. I weigh 155 (with a seriously decent sprint) and can't ride most skinny (or light) climbing wheels. If you're on Campy, the new Zondas look like a sick deal - identical to Eurus, but with steel spokes - but I can't vouch for them.

Other rim options are Velocity Deep-V, Sun Venus, Mavic CXP, etc. I should recieve the Ambrosio equivalent of Open Pros pretty soon, and I'm guessing they're a pretty good option, too, but can't vouch for them yet, either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
I weigh the same as you and use Dura-Ace 28 with Mavic CXP-33. About the same weight as Open Pro 32's but slightly more Aero. 2x in front, 3x in the rear with DT 14-15 DB spokes. I use alloy nipples on all but the drive side and have never had a problem.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
97 Posts
Get the Ksyrium. I have 2 sets. 9 speed SSC and a set of 10 speed 2005 SSC SL that I picked up for $550 new from my shop sponsor and a soon to be set of Elites for training.

I am not knocking handbuilt wheels, but Ksyriums are the strongest, toughest wheels out there. They are light enough for hills at 1500 grams. Some will argue and tell you to get some kind of insane wheel that is 1100 grams and costs $2000, needs special pads and cannot hit a pothole or your screwed. That type of wheel is great if you get it for free or are a 40 something with serious cash.

The ksyrium is tough as nails for a crit. No flexing, and great for a throw down sprint. You can even race them for cyclocross. No special pads, they hardly even come out of true and can be used as an everyday wheel.

For the money, I do not think you could get a better wheel. That is my opinion.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
Get the Ksyrium. I have 2 sets. 9 speed SSC and a set of 10 speed 2005 SSC SL that I picked up for $550 new from my shop sponsor and a soon to be set of Elites for training.

I am not knocking handbuilt wheels, but Ksyriums are the strongest, toughest wheels out there. They are light enough for hills at 1500 grams. Some will argue and tell you to get some kind of insane wheel that is 1100 grams and costs $2000, needs special pads and cannot hit a pothole or your screwed. That type of wheel is great if you get it for free or are a 40 something with serious cash.

The ksyrium is tough as nails for a crit. No flexing, and great for a throw down sprint. You can even race them for cyclocross. No special pads, they hardly even come out of true and can be used as an everyday wheel.

For the money, I do not think you could get a better wheel. That is my opinion.
Yeah, the problem is that you can get a handbuilt wheel that is at least as strong as the Ksyriums and is lighter, for less money. Go handbuilt.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
97 Posts
alienator said:
Yeah, the problem is that you can get a handbuilt wheel that is at least as strong as the Ksyriums and is lighter, for less money. Go handbuilt.

But will it be able to be ridden in all conditions? Crit, RR, training, cross, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
But will it be able to be ridden in all conditions? Crit, RR, training, cross, etc...

But the OP was only looking for racing wheels.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
97 Posts
It also depends on who builds the wheel? I have known some pretty good wheel builders, however I have come across some ok wheel builders as well. I would still stay with the Ksyrium. That is just my opinion. I only do about 35 races a year, crit and rr's and I have always used Ksyriums.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
97 Posts
alienator said:
Yeah, the problem is that you can get a handbuilt wheel that is at least as strong as the Ksyriums and is lighter, for less money. Go handbuilt.

Alienator, I have to ask......What is your avatar?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top