Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, many here seem to agree that a nice set race wheels should include some carbon rims, but only to be used on race day. Training should be done on aluminum rims....I have done the searches and it seems like the opinion is split on whether one needs to change the swiss stop yellow brake pads or just wipe them off, but at my race today I noticed many people putting their spare wheels in the support car...so in a race when you flat, you obviously are not going to change or even wipe off your brake pads, so do you have an extra set of carbon rimmed wheels for spares as well??? ( this is getting expensive...)

PS - if you have read my earlier posts you will note that I have just started so getting a budget busting wheelset isn't really necessary, but my question is a general one, not for me.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
No one "needs" carbon race wheels. I have 2 pr of regular wheels that I bring along. Bring what ya got. Not many CF wheels (at least in my experience, which, addmittedly, is somewhat limited) in a 4/5 race, and most of those belong to the 4's.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If you're going to own a top end set of carbon wheels it's really worth the effort to change the pads for the carbons. If you use the same pads, you risk damaging the carbon rims, the black stuff that wears onto the brake pads from the aluminum is pretty abrasive and the pads would need to be cleaned thoroughly if not swapped.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
if you have to switch wheels during a road race or crit, you just do it. clean the pads before the race starts so they're as clean of debris as possible, but you don't have any choice once you're standing on the side of the road w/ a flat.
before showing at the first race w/ your nifty new race wheels, swap 'em out and make sure you know what adjustments if any you'll need to make when you switch wheels. and, check what difference if any there is in rim width as this will affect the way your brakes feel.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
If you are not Cat 3 or above, save your money and forget the carbon wheels.
A set of race wheels should be lighter than your training wheels, in perfect shape and have light tires that wear quicker than the tires on your training wheels.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
What grumpy said.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Ditto. I'd add that they should be as close to the same wheel as possible. That way the pads and the cassette will line up correctly. Nothing wrong with using the same kind of wheel for both racing and training.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
When you use aluminum rims, small shards of aluminum embed themselves in the brake pads. They can chew up carbon rims. It's ok to go from carbon wheels to aluminum without swapping pads although some carbon compatible pads don't work very well on aluminum. So when you get a spare wheel from the wheel pit or support vehicle you can just put it on.

But when you go from aluminum to carbon wheels you need to swap pads, or carefully remove any aluminum shards. Wiping off the pads won't do it. You need to remove them from the brakes so you can see, and use an awl or small screwdriver to remove the shards. If you are going to be removing the pads anyhow (it is very easy) then you might as well swap between carbon and aluminum compatible pads when you change wheels.

Doing that every once in a while is a good practice even if you don't have carbon rims.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grumpy....read my PS...I know Moi does not need carbon wheels....I am just asking this question for general interest...those cat 1/2's that use carbon wheels and don't have someone else paying for their equipment, what do they do when they flat? do they have another set of carbon wheels or do they just put on their aluminum spares and say to hell with the brake pads...I am curious, thats all.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
You just ride your backup wheels (whatever they are made of) with your carbon pads and give the carbon pads a good scrub when you're finished. It's smart to use a carbon pad that doesn't suck to use on aluminum. Swiss stop yellows are a good choice for this.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
If you are not Cat 3 or above, save your money and forget the carbon wheels.
Why? You think most cat 1,2,3 are winning enough money to pay for their hobby, including 1K+ for a pair of carbon wheels?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
This is crazy. I don't remember anyone in the cat 5 using carbon wheels. If they did they better be winning the race or someone is going to look funny.

You need a solid set of race wheels that are strong enough to corner well and light enough to climb half way decent, lots of choices in the sub $600 range. Try BBW(bicycle wheel warehouse)

When you're first starting out it's best to start out with basic gear. There's no need in trashing a really nice set of wheels if you make a mistake.

To this day I still use nothing but metal rims for mass start racing.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
it is amazing how people really seem to ignore the actual question and just rant about their personal opinions that may or may not have anything to do w/ the actual original post.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Why? You think most cat 1,2,3 are winning enough money to pay for their hobby, including 1K+ for a pair of carbon wheels?
I'm going to take a WAG that Grumpy is a cat3 so this clause puts him in the "in" crowd. Sorry boys, It's a hobby unless you're getting paid to cover expenses and getting free equipment.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts