Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://tomdemerly.com/2017/02/28/report-indicates-computrainer-going-out-of-business/

“It is with a heavy heart that those of us here at RacerMate must tell you that we are closing the doors on CompuTrainer. Technology and competition from larger companies have both eaten into the marketplace. As a small company with the premier indoor trainer in terms of performance and durability, we have found ourselves in a place where we cannot continue. It has been a marvelous 40+ years and we have enjoyed sharing in the victories and friendships we have made along the way.” [signed]

Chuck Wurster, Vice President
RacerMate Inc.
Seattle, WA
A pioneer for sure with an impressively solid product, but one that didn't grow with the times.

Lack of wireless options and ancient software are fine until something better comes along, which it did (more modern smart trainers and Zwift to name a few).

Who's gonna buy up the remaining stock to save for the few repairs needed?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
https://tomdemerly.com/2017/02/28/report-indicates-computrainer-going-out-of-business/

A pioneer for sure with an impressively solid product, but one that didn't grow with the times.

Lack of wireless options and ancient software are fine until something better comes along, which it did (more modern smart trainers and Zwift to name a few).

Who's gonna buy up the remaining stock to save for the few repairs needed?
Wow. After pretty much inventing the simulated trainer market, they got passed by new competitors and found themselves pretty much irrelevant. Probably a good case study for a business course

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ray's article points to a few choices they made that could have changed this outcome. One bad partner and at least one good one missed as well. They created the genre, but failed to move forward in ways that others could and did. Not a surprising outcome despite it being a sad end to a true innovator.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I've had mine for 14 years and the hardware has been bulletproof.
ErgVideo is the software I've been using with it for quite a few years. It's excellent IMHO.
Hopefully Racermate will decide to sell the Computrainer hardware (patents, etc) to someone who will add excellent software.
For many who used Computrainers in the multi rider environment, it's been a frustrating journey. Actually it's been the same for individual users. That said, I hope mine lasts forever as is.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I bought one about five years ago. Their offices aren't far from me, and I ride through that area fairly frequently. I liked the idea of it being a local company.

Unfortunately, despite having rock solid hardware, the software and connectivity was just so archaic, and they refused to adapt - you can see where it got them.

I eventually gave my computrainer to a friend, who still uses it. I moved on to a Wahoo Kickr for the enhanced app compatibility and wireless open standards connectivity to tablets and phones and such.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts