Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an older road bike that was good back in its day but I am sure is not of the standard of todays bikes. I would like ot get into racing but realy cant aford a new bike just yet, My question is I would like to get into racing with htis older bike untill I can aford a new one, Would it be worth it? I dont mind coming in last as I am out of shape and probably will anyway I just want to do it for the fun of it for now. Also are there any races in the N. California foot hill area? Or any clubs? I live in amador county and would like to start out close to home just in case it turns out not being for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just do it!

I rode my entire first season on a touring bike - didn't have the money to upgrade the tires to racing ones until mid-season. Had a blast, learned alot and by the end was finishing in the lead pack.

At the beginning level, bike type is less important than fitness - though I wouldn't recommend using a mountain bike :)

- K

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch, Your post was very encouraging. I expected to be told to wait untill I can aford somthing better but got much more. Would youknow of any resorces on races or even clubs in the area of Amador County California? Thanks agan

·
Professional Lurker
242 Posts
One of the only issues I can see with racing an older bike is if you have downtube shifters. There are two concerns: 1) you need to be very comfortable taking one hand off of the bars to shift when you are in a tight pack. 2) especially for a crit, you have to anticipate shifting far earlier than you do with integrated brake/shifters.

In any case, racing with an older bike will not put you at any significant disadvantage.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
jasonw said:
Thanks a bunch, Your post was very encouraging. I expected to be told to wait untill I can aford somthing better but got much more. Would youknow of any resorces on races or even clubs in the area of Amador County California? Thanks agan
The first resource I would recommend for you would be...... the Webster's Dictionary :eek:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I suggest that you go to ncnca.org for info about the races in northern california . they probably have a listing of the clubs in your area also

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I do have shifters on the downtube unfortunatly. I wil check out that website, Rob please dont wast your time posting stuff like that. You dont make me feel bad but if it makes you feel like a better person then go ahead, I understand, noones perfect. Thanks agan

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Another thought.

Thanks everyone, I do have shifters on the downtube unfortunatly.
If you're going to keep your old bike for a while longer, consider replacing your downtube shifters with bar-end shifters.

Bar-end shifters allow you to shift with both hands on the drop part of the handlebar. You'd have to practice a few hours before taking them into a race, and bar-end shifters are easily damaged in a crash. But quite a few racers - especially sprinters - used them with great success when everyone else was still on downtube shifters.

Good luck!

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
just get out there

hey, glad to see you're thinking about doing some races. like the posters above stated, just get out there and go for it. the biggest and best modification you can make is improving your legs, which is also the cheapest. i know i had a blast on my first race, even though i didn't win it, and it has made me want to train even more. good luck to you, have fun, and be sure the give a race report once you finish your first one!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks agan everyone. I did not know I could upgrade to diferent shifters. I guess the best thing to do is go see if my local bike shop is still opend and ask them what I need to make the upgrade huh? I dont even like shifting on the downtube when out for a ride so I am sure I will not like to during a race. Thanks agan

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i've been riding and racing on a 14 year old pinarello w/downtube 7spd chorus and a 12 year old 8spd ultegra c'dale for the past 3 years. just got a new bike, and it's great, but the other bikes certainly went the extra mile. don't forget, they're tools, not jewels ;)

jasonw said:
Hi, I have an older road bike that was good back in its day but I am sure is not of the standard of todays bikes. I would like ot get into racing but realy cant aford a new bike just yet, My question is I would like to get into racing with htis older bike untill I can aford a new one, Would it be worth it? I dont mind coming in last as I am out of shape and probably will anyway I just want to do it for the fun of it for now. Also are there any races in the N. California foot hill area? Or any clubs? I live in amador county and would like to start out close to home just in case it turns out not being for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe somone can tell me about my bike? I got it from my father who got it from a firend after the original rider passed away in an accident. He did race his bikes and the thing weighs about 2lbs so I am asuming its good, I dont know much about it but it dose say Suntour in quite a few spots and the little chain gaurd on the fraim say Specialized but I am not sure if its a specialized fram or only the chain gaurd. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You'd probably get a lot more info about your bike if you posted a picture.

Like the others said, get out there and ride it. You can have a lot of fun on an older bike, believe me. Check out the Vintage/Retro board for a lot of good info.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts