Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been racing at all, though I do like doing fast group rides, etc. In a Men's Cat 5/Novice race, is it frowned upon if racing in expensive wheels like Zipp 404, 808's or Bora's? Zipps are very flashy in my opinion, but they do go/feel faster...I was wondering if people might think "cat 5 novice is not fast enough for those wheels..." opinions?

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Who cares what others think if you can afford those wheels and like to ride them?

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you can afford to replace them if trashed/wrecked who cares. I don't care what others think about what I ride. If you ride long enough you will wreck and break stuff -including wheels.

Ride want you want and have fun.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Race what you brung

raspaaa said:
...I was wondering if people might think ...
If these are people you do not plan on sleeping with who cares what they think.

You will see one of everything in a Cat 5 field, especially as riders are shelled out the back of the field.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Raced last weekend Cat 4/5 mixed. Over half the people were on expensive wheels (Zipps, HED, Reynolds, blah blah blah)

If you have them, by all means race them.

Did you buy the nice wheels to only train on?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I used to wonder the same thing... You didn't spend bucks on nice wheels to look at them at home right? Race them...

But if you crash them.... Well don't crash

·
Registered
482 Posts
Some people can't even afford expensive wheels for neither race or training because of income, family, etc. If you can afford it and want it, then by all means get it. Who cares what others think.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
...and maybe they'll help you win the race. Or avoid getting shelled off the back.

If somebody ridicules you, just tell them you're on Team Poseur.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i race Bontrager Aelous 5.0's on a $1,200 Giant, and am a Cat 4. I love these wheels. I've crashed then 2x(racing 35+ and 3/4 BTW). these wheels are bullet proof, not even the slightest wobble when the rubber was shredded. metal rims would have taco'd. don;t be afraid of carbon. I train with these wheels too. for what its worth, I paid half price for the wheels on ebay

·
Registered
311 Posts
With all the preparation I make for a race, I can not imagine concerning myself with a competitors opinion of my wheel choice.

Opinion? I think this is one of the more ridiculous things I have heard in a while...anyone who frowns on your gear choice would be highly suspect as having a bad case of jealousy.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
if you're actually concerned..

about whether a certain type of wheels helps you go faster or not in a Cat. 5 race.....the answer is an outstanding NO.
race what you got. but don't race anything that would upset you too much if its destroyed...wrecks happen and typically something breaks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
bahueh said:
about whether a certain type of wheels helps you go faster or not in a Cat. 5 race.....the answer is an outstanding NO.

I'm not sure...in a Cat 5 we're probably talking about average of 21mph-23mph, ignore hills and such...I think some of the aero wheels like 404's, 808's or anything "aero" may have some advantage on flats and decents. Correct me if I'm wrong?

·
Registered
311 Posts
simplyhankk said:
Correct me if I'm wrong?

No, no need for correction. You are correct, it is ignorant to think that no wheel offers any advantage in any cat 5 race. It would also be ignorant, however, to think that a certain wheel (all else equal) will transform an "also raced" into a champion.

The statement, "about whether a certain type of wheels helps you go faster or not in a Cat. 5 race.....the answer is an outstanding NO." seems to ignore a lot of different types of races and courses. Notable examples of where this statement is utterly ridiculous include Time Trials, and hill climbs. Regardless of the racers ability, in a cat 5 race where surges are commonplace, having a lighter wheel can be beneficial.

·
A.K.A. Pitty-Cent....
214 Posts
I'm a firm believer that Skin Suits and top $$ equipment should be illegal in Cat5 or C cross. Not because it's not cool, but because people ride beyond their means and tend to crash.
That being said, once upon a time I went from some crappy stock Shimano wheels with crappy rubber to Neuvations (not top $$$ but great quality) with Pro Race 3's on them. I was considerably faster as the rubber rolled better, the hubs rolled faster, and the wheelset was about 600 grams lighter with aero spokes. On top of that I could corner like nobodies business. It was like having a new bike.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you have a $1000+ wheelset on your bike and get shelled out of the back of a Cat 5 race, you will look like an idiot. This will happen in front of spectators and vastly more experienced racers, who will smirk and snicker behind your back for a couple of hours. Then they will forget about you and worry about their own race.

If the possibility of looking like an idiot bothers you, don't rock/rub nice wheels in your intro class race.

If you don't care what anyone else thinks, rock whatever you want.

It's as simple as that.

As they say, it's not the bike, it's the motor. Nice wheels will not make or break your race. If anything, the mental advantage of using them is worth more than any physical benefits. Please note these remarks apply to early season Cat 5 events, NOT upper categories.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used to think it was a bit silly for anyone below Cat 2 or so to have expensive wheels (or anything else), until I realized that if I had the money, I'd buy whatever I could afford regardless of my ability. In fact, if I were working too much to ride enough to be fast, but could afford 'fast' gear, I'd absolutely buy it and ride it whenever I felt like it.

Most of the people who get pissy about what wheels Cat 5s are riding are just bothered that they can't afford the same wheels. There's not much more to it than that. I'm ecstatic to see massive Cat 4/5 fields because it means that there will be more races in the future. I couldn't care less what they ride. In fact, more people buying more stuff means a more vibrant industry, which is good for everyone.

The funniest part about discussions like this is that the people who care the most are the other Cat 5s. In my experience, the most mellow and nicest racers have been in the Pro/1/2 fields. The whiny prima donnas were all back in the 4s and 5s.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Take what you want.

I usually choose between Leightweights and Campy Bora Ultras in our local crit series. Best part is some people actually give youa little breathing room because you are the one person they don't want to crash out.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i am still a cat 4, and have ridden alot of 5 races and combined cat 4/5, and combined 3/4. in cat 5 only races, i see some aero wheels, and some very pricey bikes. i have never, ever heard anyone laugh or snicker or joke about someone else's gear. I do hear comments when a cat 5 races is pro team kid(eg, CSC). the 4's are starting to think more about wheels, and in a 3/4 race, nearly everyone has nice wheels.
I ride a $1200 bike with $3000 wheels. I just bougt a new rear with wireless PT. that setup alone is $3k. guess what? i bought everything on ebay. don't ever second guess what someone has spent on gear, you will never know unless they tell you.
as for good wheels in cat 5: i go down hill faster, and I accelerate out of corners faster.

for what its worth, the owner of the local LBS(team sponsor) keeps teasing me to upgrade to a $7k bike. i tell him I will when I get all my cat 3 points. my bike is not the limiting factor at the moment

·
Registered
383 Posts
ewitz said:
I usually choose between Leightweights and Campy Bora Ultras in our local crit series. Best part is some people actually give youa little breathing room because you are the one person they don't want to crash out.

:eek:

puts pressure on whoever rides next to you! ha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts