Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never raced before, so I was wondering, it there is a crash and people go down, is it possible for riders behind who can't stop/maneuver to accidentally run over the rider in front?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
yep. It can and does happen. Experienced riders can often bunny-hop over, but sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

Usually, it's not as bad as you think. Sometimes, it is.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,413 Posts
accidentally ?
Sometimes you either have to go over crashed riders or crash yourself. When you have to go over a body in the road, you have a very good chance of not doing it "well", and crashing. Always try to aim for a arm or a leg. Easier to get over.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Oh I had a good experience with this last season. Deer Trail, CO's state RR championship race and my first RR as a Cat 3. I'm hanging about 2/3 back in the pack after spending a bit of time in a double paceline trying to cut down some of time from a long out break. We had about 12m to go so it was time to recover and let others chase. well the guy two riders up goes down in front of me during a gradual turn (think he hit gravel). guy in front goes down too, i'm breaking agressivly but the mess is right in front, I roll up his rear wheel, over his hip and front wheel stops in his front wheel, I end up doing a nose wheelie and coming back down with my rear wheel on his leg. Roll off ready to go but my darn chain is dropped. By the time i'm back on the bike the peloton had attacked and i was all alone to chase.

In an earlier race, Hugo still as a Cat 4, a crash happened that donimoed through the peloton my direction, a friend riding in front of me went down but i was able to get around him. Couple miles later I bridged with another to the break, the break was tired and soon there were 3 of us the last 10 miles. We worked together really well into a strong headwind, shared water (couldn't afford to lose anyone) the peloton was always in sight. We held it and I took the win.

don't worry about crashes but practice riding to cope. On hard grass with a buddy, practice bumping elbows (keep upper body lose)
ride single file and 'accidenty' kiss tires
practice bunny hops
working on a track stand helps balance

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
steel515 said:
I've never raced before, so I was wondering, it there is a crash and people go down, is it possible for riders behind who can't stop/maneuver to accidentally run over the rider in front?
There are now 3 responses in this thread. That's one more than the number of times I've ridden into a rider on the ground in a race and I've been racing 15 years.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
whether or not it happens frequently, it is by far the most dangerous aspect of racing. you can be in the best shape of your life and completely in control of your bike, fired up to make a winning move, only to have some idiot four riders ahead of you can suddenly do something stupid and take down half the pack, including you.

i raced about 25 times last year and it happened to me twice. first time in the 30mph wind-up to the finishing sprint, some twit who couldn't hold his line veered to his right and cut off other riders. guys must have clipped bars, because about three of them went down in front of me. i was able to swerve out of the way and bunny hop a curb to avoid the crash. but it obviously took me out of the race after busting my hump for 30 miles and the bunny hop thrashed my rear wheel.

second time, in the first 5 miles of one of our club's big 36-mile open races. some nimrod was riding with his hands loose on the hoods. (he later admitted this to everyone.) he hit a small pothole that had been on the course all spring and flipped. he took down about five of us. i got gashed on the shin by somebody's chainring. i jumped up and chased for 8 miles, but eventually stopped when the blood began to pool in my shoe.

for this reason, in racing, it is almost always safer near the front of the pack.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,413 Posts
Three for me. Made it over just once. 33% is better than just raming into them and eating it. Going around always works better, but when riders are sliding around on the road, you can never be sure where they'll end up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts