Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Racing on new tire? Fail!

Votes: 6 46.2%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm doing the Dana Point GP tomorrow and need to mount a new tire on a wheel. Where should it go? Front or back? I'm planning on putting a few (~3 ish) miles on it before the race.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Be careful

lalonauta said:
Hi, I'm doing the Dana Point GP tomorrow and need to mount a new tire on a wheel. Where should it go? Front or back? I'm planning on putting a few (~3 ish) miles on it before the race.
As with Sojourneyman, I would put the new tire on the front. However, you probably want to work the tire over with a ScotchBrite pad or kitchen sink scrubber. Lots of new tires come wih some mold release agent still on them, and they can have pretty poor traction until that gets scuffed off through normal riding. I wouldn't want to take the chance of entering a race with a tire that was brand new.

·
Registered
436 Posts
lalonauta said:
I've been told that wiping the outside of the tire with Vinegar will help.

·
Registered
348 Posts
djg21 said:
I've been told that wiping the outside of the tire with Vinegar will help.
Interesting...a really helpful guy at my last race told me grease and then sugguested he'd pull me at the front of the pack. Pretty nice of him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts