Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to participate in the Georgia Games on July 6th. I want to do the road race. I have never raced in official event. I have done a couple of triathlons and have done many century- type rides that aren't considered races. I am 50 years old. Does anyone know if i will have to get a license and how does that work? What group would I compete in? Thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
In case it's not clear from the flyer - you'd race in the Masters 35+ Category 4/5 if you are a dude, Women's Category 4 if you are a gal. Best thing to do would be to pre-reg online for the appropriate races. If you want a USAC license you should buy one first, then enter your license number when you pre-reg if asked. You get the license number right away when you sign up online at usacycling.org
Otherwise, you can buy a one-day license at the event - which will be $10 each day. It's your call as to whether the annual license will be worthwhile or to go the one-day route.

·
Registered
625 Posts
IMO, I'd recommend purchasing the one day licence when you register for the race. I think they're still $10 per event. The annual is $60, which means you'd have to enter five more races between now and the end of the season just to break even. Also, With the one day your finish will still count toward your ten for upgrading if you decide to keep racing.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
In case it's not clear from the flyer - you'd race in the Masters 35+ Category 4/5 if you are a dude, Women's Category 4 if you are a gal. Best thing to do would be to pre-reg online for the appropriate races. If you want a USAC license you should buy one first, then enter your license number when you pre-reg if asked. You get the license number right away when you sign up online at usacycling.org
Otherwise, you can buy a one-day license at the event - which will be $10 each day. It's your call as to whether the annual license will be worthwhile or to go the one-day route.
He might need to pay addtional fees like the "number tag" fee. Bet it'll end up being $20 instead of $10.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The blurb on the entry form reads:

Racers required to hold USA Cycling license.
One day and annual renewals
will be available at
registration on race day.
This must be paid
separately from entry fee.
Registration must also be
accompanied by USA Cycling
Rider Waiver available
at The Official Website - USA Cycling

Since it doesn't mention any exclusions or restrictions, I assume that everyone can buy a one-day license. I realize that my assumption may rest on sloppy writing and editing on part of the organizers, so no guarantees.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm wanting to participate in the Georgia Games on July 6th. I want to do the road race. I have never raced in official event. I have done a couple of triathlons and have done many century- type rides that aren't considered races. I am 50 years old. Does anyone know if i will have to get a license and how does that work? What group would I compete in? Thanks.
I'll see you there! Im registered in that 35+ cat 4/5 field. Course is relatively flat and should be a great first race for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.