Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a short, flat TT coming up this weekend that i was going to ride on my fixed gear. I have a front brake, but no rear...anyone know if there are any UCSF rules prohibiting use of a fixie? Don't want to show up for the race then find out the official won't let me ride...thanks!

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
ok

turbomatic73 said:
I have a short, flat TT coming up this weekend that i was going to ride on my fixed gear. I have a front brake, but no rear...anyone know if there are any UCSF rules prohibiting use of a fixie? Don't want to show up for the race then find out the official won't let me ride...thanks!
You can use a fixed bike for a tt, but not a mass start road race. You must have a front brake, but no rear is ok.

From the rulebook:

3E. Individual Time Trial
3E1. Courses may be out-and-back, around a circuit, or one way. Only out-and-back and circuit courses may be used for record purposes. A one-time out-and-back course or a circuit large enough for a single lap is ideal.
3E2. Road bicycles shall be used. Bicycles with a front hand brake and fixed wheel may also be used.
http://www.usacycling.org/forms/USCF_Rulebook.pdf

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
gearing

turbomatic73 said:
it's right in the rule book, ain't it. thanks Fixed!

now on to figuring out my gearing...
Might be able to help with that, too. There's a spreadsheet form on my handy-dandy bike links page: http://www.midcalracing.com/bikelinks.htm

I'd try to gear, assuming it's flat, so that you are around 90-100 rpms at your anticipated pace. I've done lots of time trials on my fixed, btw, and while it's fun to do, I found it to be slower than multi-speed. Every time there is a start, corner, headwind, tailwind, grade change, etc., not being in the perfect gear can slow you down. What you gain from reduced drive train loss and better efficiency just can't make up for being in the wrong gear. Give it a try, though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
turbomatic73 said:
it's right in the rule book, ain't it. thanks Fixed!

now on to figuring out my gearing...
Easy, this is how I did it. Go out on your road bike, with the aid of your computer find out what gear your running when your at the speed you want to be racing a TT at. Then set up your fixie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts