Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of swapping components from a CAAD 7 R800 to a Colnago Master with Alpha Q fork/Chris King Headset.

I would be using Ultegra components and a FSA Team Carbon Cranks/FSA Ti-bottom bracket, with AC 420 wheelset. Racing as a Cat 4 and a road race only bike. Cannondale would be a crit bike with Campy 8speed components.

What are the pros and cons of racing with a steel frame over aluminum? Is frame flex a problem on steel? I weigh 150lbs at 5'8''.

My pro would be that it is a very cool Colnago frame and steel has a reputation as an excellent ride. Con, would be a heavier bike. Anything that I am missing?

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
The frame weighs what, maybe a pound more? So you'd be powering 176 lbs instead of 175 (you + bike + clothes +water). Run the model on analyticcycling.com but I can tell you now that it won't make much difference.

Frame flex won't slow you down, but some people like the feel of a stiff frame. That's something that only you can answer.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Try it and see.

Historically, I've had both an AL and a steel road bike in the stable at the same time. Slightly different rides... Neither one seemed to 'hold me back' in races.

Unless yer rolling with the pros, training, diet, sleep, etc. are all gonna make more difference than a pound of so of bike weight.

M

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
would you be pissed if you crashed the Colnago in its first race? Granted that steel is more repairable than Al, but still, it's something to think about.

I've raced on stiff steel (853) and Al, and I prefer the "buzzy" -- communicative -- feedback of the Aluminum for racing, but the steel was fine, too.

All in all I'd say go for it if it's no expense.

· BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Steel really won't hold you back. For some perspective I spent the last two years racing on a 2001 TCR AL frame. This year I was looking for something with a little more compliance. I've spent this season racing on a Raleigh lugged 531c frame. Not much of a difference in my performance, but I can definately feel the difference when going into a sprint. Takes a bit more to wind it up, where the AL was almost immediate, the 531c take a little time to wind up, but when it does there's no difference at all.

That being said I am looking at a new frame, but it's a Ciocc 12.5 COM. Steel again, just oversized stays for a little more stiffness.

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
I have a pinarello opera (deda steel and carbon wishbone rear stay).
One F-in sweet bike, bought it used w/ record carbon 9 for $1400.
I mainly train on the bike, but with group emotions bursting at the seams, I can snag a sprint. Or ride all day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.