Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you seasoned racers found that recovery time between races and hard workouts takes longer mid-season than it did at the beginning?

This is my first full season of racing Cat4 and I've done about 24 races this season, starting in April. I was flying in April and May and had some pretty good top-10 & top-20 results, but once June came around I have found that I do not have the recovery bounce-back I had when training hard in Feb-March and racing hard in April-May. My results have also been pretty ho-hum.

I'm just wondering if what I'm experiencing is pretty common. I'm a 34y.o. male and not getting any younger.

I've raced partial seasons in the past few yrs but this is the first full season. I am going to race less in July and hope that I can do well in some of the August-Sept races. Then I'm planning to see how I feel and hope to do some cross races, maybe. But I guess that burn-out will be a major factor come mid-Sept.

And aside from physical recovery, does anyone else find it tough to get mentally prepared to kill in crits every weekend? I do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Racing too often & Heat

I think that the reasons of your problem may be:

1) You are racing too often,... Sounds like you're racing twice a week. Races are big efforts. The body (and the mind) can only take so much. Also, it becomes routine, so it gets harder to get psyched. Select your races. Once a week sounds like the max you should be aiming for. Especially if you have a six month long season.

2) Increased heat makes it more dificult to recoup. Hopefully you should be acclimated by August. Make sure you are well hydrated.

If you combine #1 and #2 above, no wonder you're feeling close to burn-out!

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
With cyclocross season I race every sat/sun for basically 14 weeks straight (fall/winter). I dont think its the weather, its a lot of hard racing, finding a way to cheat recovery is paramount. Eat, hydrate and rest well.
If you plan on some 'cross this season take a long break say min 10 days. Some take a month off! To refocus on a new season. For 'cross cut your volume and work on compact intervals and VO Max starts.
If you're gonna last, you may want to think about letting up on the crits, give you body and mind time to recover and have a safe, fun bridge into cyclocross.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nail on the head

Bill from WPB said:
I think that the reasons of your problem may be:

1) You are racing too often,... Sounds like you're racing twice a week. Races are big efforts. The body (and the mind) can only take so much. Also, it becomes routine, so it gets harder to get psyched. Select your races. Once a week sounds like the max you should be aiming for. Especially if you have a six month long season.

2) Increased heat makes it more dificult to recoup. Hopefully you should be acclimated by August. Make sure you are well hydrated.

If you combine #1 and #2 above, no wonder you're feeling close to burn-out!
I think you hit the nail on the head. Racing more than 1x/wk is what seems to be doing it to me. And I've also done a few stage races w/ 3 races in either 2 or 3 days. I think those races *really* set me back.

I have pretty much taken it easy the last week after a previous wknd of hard racing. Raced only 1x this wknd and had a good result.

Rest is the key right now, it appears. heat is also a factor, but i think it's the rest that did me good.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a break for sure

kannas said:
With cyclocross season I race every sat/sun for basically 14 weeks straight (fall/winter). I dont think its the weather, its a lot of hard racing, finding a way to cheat recovery is paramount. Eat, hydrate and rest well.
If you plan on some 'cross this season take a long break say min 10 days. Some take a month off! To refocus on a new season. For 'cross cut your volume and work on compact intervals and VO Max starts.
If you're gonna last, you may want to think about letting up on the crits, give you body and mind time to recover and have a safe, fun bridge into cyclocross.
yeah, if I do end up racing cross I will def take a few wks off btw seasons. the cross season starts pretty soon after road out here in Colorado, so I can imagine that motivation to do even 1 race/wknd may be tough. Guess I'll never know unless I try...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.