Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continental Supersonic tires to be exact. Awesome tire, while they're good. When they are past their prime, they are fragged.

I've only been able to get, about 400 kilometers of wear out of a rear. I haven't had a flat yet (prayers to respected Deity), but at about 400 kilometers of use the tire seems to just come apart. I know I shouldn't expect big mileage out of this kind of tire but I thought I'd get at least double what I'm getting now. One ride a week over a month of Sundays seems to have killed the rear tire.

I'm not going very fast - averaging 28kph. The roads aren't overly rough, nor smooth for that matter, there's no real hills, or sprints, or high speed downhill. I'm 85 kilo. The course is fairly straight; a modified version of the Brisbane Bay Loop (it's supposed to be 130 Kilometers, I'm only riding 100 kilometers) ridden Sunday mornings from 5:30am. Environmental Temps are low, tire pressures are per manufacturer specifications.

I think it's probably user error.

I would really would like to try the Schwable Ultimo tires, but at the price they are asking, I'm not keen to only get 400/500 kilometers of wear out of them.

Anyone use the Ultimo Tire? What's your experience?

·
Registered
797 Posts
How long a tire will last is a hard queston to anser... There are just to meany veriables.
Road conditons, and temperature will effect tire wear. So will the pressure you run them at. Also a heavy rider will wear rubber faster. I could also add a more agressive riding style will scrub them off quicker.
Not only that, but, your first time out, you could hit a bit of broken glass or somting and ruin it then and there...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Visitor302 said:
How long a tire will last is a hard queston to anser... There are just to meany veriables.
Road conditons, and temperature will effect tire wear. So will the pressure you run them at. Also a heavy rider will wear rubber faster. I could also add a more agressive riding style will scrub them off quicker.
Not only that, but, your first time out, you could hit a bit of broken glass or somting and ruin it then and there...
Hey, thanks for all that. I'm with you on all those replies. I was smiling when I read that last bit about wrecking the tire on the first trip. :lol

As I'm not racing I probably shouldn't run race tires anyway, but the light tires are just too nice to pass up. Might just go back with the Gatorskins, they would be the best tire for an average rider.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Cycle_Spice said:
pressures are per manufacturer specifications
Which specifcation is that? Conti posts both recommended and maximum pressure for each tire. If you are using maximum pressure, then your tire life may be reduced. Also 700 x 23 should last longer than 700 x 20 - which are you using in the rear? Grand Prix Supersonic 700 x 20 has recommended 145 psi, max 170 psi. Grand Prix Supersonic 700 x 23 has recommended 115, max 145 psi.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Racing tires are lighter and use less rubber, they will wear out faster. I ride chip sealed roads and I get about 1000 miles out of a rear Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX. Needless to say I don't use them anymore. As mentioned, tire wear will depend a lot on the types of roads you ride, type of riding, body weight. psi and so on. You need to find a good training tire. Depends on how much money you want to spend. You will probably have to experiment to find what tires work the best for you.

Click on biketiresdirect.com for good prices.

·
Registered
553 Posts
400km is very, very short. i suspect you hit something to cut it, or had a defective tire. even the fastest wearing tires should go 1500km+. lowering pressure will increase lifespan/comfort/grip without significantly reducing speed. try it! also, race tires are designed to be soft (sticky) and light (less rubber)...they will all have a shorter lifespan than a more general purpose tire.

i have used vittoria open corsa cx, continental gp4000 and schwalbe ultremos recently. the ultremo is definitely on the light/thin side...the worst of the three in terms of wear/durability in my experience. the corsa cx is not a whole lot better, but it rides so nice that it is still my tire of choice. the gp4000 offers significantly better wear and cut/puncture resistance...i use them on my fixed-gear trainer. michelin pro race 3 is next up...i have high hopes. these are all 700x23c at ~100psi.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I am also riding Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX and wearing exactly at the 1000miles
rate. They ride and corner so well I will just have to shell out the $50 a month for a
new rear. I have no choice in the matter and this is a hobby after all.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I know a couple of guys that replace their rear tires every 500 miles or so. I guess they don't like the tire flattening out even though there is at least 500 miles left in them. Sounds spoil, but I think they only do that with their race wheels, not their training ones.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tread seems to seperate from the casing. A section about 17 cm long peeled away. 2tires of the same make/model from two different shops.

I'm doing something wrong, beside using racing tires when I'm not racing.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Supersonics are TT tire and should only be used for special events. They are super light and have very little rubber on them. However, they should last more that 250 miles. As you have indicated that the tread is seperating from the casing I would say that these tires may be NOS and not kept in a very good climate controled environment. Or you are over inflating them.

If you like Conti's, which I do, I would recomend that you switch to the new Force/Attack with the black chili compound. These are light tires that are made for racing but should get you 1500 to 2000 miles.

Vittoria's, my second favorite, ride smooth, smooth, smooth but wear, wear, wear fast. I usually get around 700-1000 on the Corsa's.

YMMV

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm probably going to go back to the Gatorskins, being as a want mileage. I might try the Ultermo as they are sitting at home and if they are supposed to last + 1500 kilometers that should give me at least a few months of tire life..

Thanks all. It's been a big help hearing from you.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
Cycle_Spice said:
Continental Supersonic tires to be exact. Awesome tire, while they're good. When they are past their prime, they are fragged.

I've only been able to get, about 400 kilometers of wear out of a rear. I haven't had a flat yet (prayers to respected Deity), but at about 400 kilometers of use the tire seems to just come apart. I know I shouldn't expect big mileage out of this kind of tire but I thought I'd get at least double what I'm getting now. One ride a week over a month of Sundays seems to have killed the rear tire.

I'm not going very fast - averaging 28kph. The roads aren't overly rough, nor smooth for that matter, there's no real hills, or sprints, or high speed downhill. I'm 85 kilo. The course is fairly straight; a modified version of the Brisbane Bay Loop (it's supposed to be 130 Kilometers, I'm only riding 100 kilometers) ridden Sunday mornings from 5:30am. Environmental Temps are low, tire pressures are per manufacturer specifications.

I think it's probably user error.

I would really would like to try the Schwable Ultimo tires, but at the price they are asking, I'm not keen to only get 400/500 kilometers of wear out of them.

Anyone use the Ultimo Tire? What's your experience?
I only use it on the front.
I use 4000S for the rear....

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Another vote for Vittoria. For much better wear and decent ride & handling, try Rubino Pros. Not quite as smooth as race tires (Open Corsa, Supersonic, Ultimo, etc.), but cheaper, better flat resistance, and longer wearing. I get 2500-3000mi (4000+ km) or more (ave between front/rear) over typical (not good) Midwest roads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.