Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While racing yesterday, I realized I have two major problems whith my form and fitness.

In the form department, while standing and accelerating on climbs, my rear wheel has a tendency to lift and hop side to side. In everyday riding this dosn't affect me a great deal, but in the race if forced me off my line several time going into corners, which offended a great number of racer behind me. Is there any way I can solve this other than by staying seated?

In the fitness department, I have always done well in time trials, but can't seem to figure out road races/crits. I can stay with the pack, but can't handle the accelerations at the end of the race (ie. last 2 miles or 2 laps). I wind up fighting just to finish with the lead pack. In some races that is perfectly acceptable to me, but in today's race the course was suited to my style (climbing) and I sprint for a top 20 spot. Are there any workouts that I should try to strengthen my finish?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
1) Keep your weight over the rear wheel, and work on being smoother. Really work on this for standing in packs -- it's really frustrating when the rider in front of you is all over the place! When you stand, start out from your normal hoods or drops position, then focus on standing from the hips, not the shoulders.

2) Do more sprint intervals. It's one thing to "work hard" when training, it's another to do full-gas, eyeball-exploding sprints. Do 'em once a week or so.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
bikeuphill9 said:
I can stay with the pack, but can't handle the accelerations at the end of the race (ie. last 2 miles or 2 laps). I wind up fighting just to finish with the lead pack.
Though it may seem counterintuitive, I think the problem is lack of threshold power. As the pace picks up during the last two laps, you're over your aerobic limit, dipping into your anaerobic stores to keep up. Then when there are accelerations on top of the faster pace, you have no more anaerobic power to raise your pace. Choose your favorite threshold training interval sets to work on raising threshold power, and it will be easier to stay with these late accelerations.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Which race was this? Rowlett's Bryan Park circuit in Richmond?

I found myself lifting my front wheel up.. ooops..opposite problem you had.

Some nasty crashes in the 5's.

I found myself hurting on the last lap.

bikeuphill9 said:
While racing yesterday, I realized I have two major problems whith my form and fitness.

In the form department, while standing and accelerating on climbs, my rear wheel has a tendency to lift and hop side to side. In everyday riding this dosn't affect me a great deal, but in the race if forced me off my line several time going into corners, which offended a great number of racer behind me. Is there any way I can solve this other than by staying seated?

In the fitness department, I have always done well in time trials, but can't seem to figure out road races/crits. I can stay with the pack, but can't handle the accelerations at the end of the race (ie. last 2 miles or 2 laps). I wind up fighting just to finish with the lead pack. In some races that is perfectly acceptable to me, but in today's race the course was suited to my style (climbing) and I sprint for a top 20 spot. Are there any workouts that I should try to strengthen my finish?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Skipping out

ewwww, nasty crashes in that race huh. Glad I was too lazy to go and went to the Washington Nationals game to see that homerun win against the yankees. WOOHOO!:thumbsup:

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
bikeuphill9 said:

Thanks
May I suggest some mtn biking cross training? It'll help you in the handling department immensely!

As far as the finish goes: more fitness = better finish. Ride more 'better' workouts. JRA is fun, but it don't get you 'fit' for the hard efforts.

HTH,

M

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, it was the CAT 5 at Bryan Park. What a race. I was glad to finish in one piece. What color was your jersy and what bike did you ride? I was in red/white/blue (Evolution) on a blue and yellow Cannondale.

As for my training I try and go all out when I do intervals. I do sprints 2 days a week with full recovery between each. I do intervals 2 days a week wich are basicaly seated sprints without a full recovery (I hold a tt pace between each effort). I also mtb when I am at school for fun. Maybe I need to go harder in my interval sessions. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go Evo!

Hey, wait a sec, a baseball game instead of a race? Well, I gues I am just as bad skiping races for fishing. See ya at Reston.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
bikeuphill9 said:
Yup, it was the CAT 5 at Bryan Park. What a race. I was glad to finish in one piece. What color was your jersy and what bike did you ride? I was in red/white/blue (Evolution) on a blue and yellow Cannondale.

As for my training I try and go all out when I do intervals. I do sprints 2 days a week with full recovery between each. I do intervals 2 days a week wich are basicaly seated sprints without a full recovery (I hold a tt pace between each effort). I also mtb when I am at school for fun. Maybe I need to go harder in my interval sessions. Thanks.
I think I saw only one EVO jersey rider there - so that must of been you.

I had on what is in my avatar - the orange/grey jersery, with 2005 trek madone 5.2 (white/blue/red) with matching helmt and black oakley's.

I saw 3 crashes, and 1 almost.

1st crash was the 3-5 people that went down on the back side. The guy in fron of met/ and the guy behind me, managed to slow up and go right. I saw/heard bike crunching and didn't look much at it other than to see someone going over top of someone else with their bike. I was getting worried it was expanding and going to get me.

Next one was the guy who got knocked out in the turn at the top of the hill.. someone from the side of the course was complaining it was the guy in the blue jersey.

Then someone else went down in the pothole in the gutter on the left hand side of the road going back to the start line.

THen I saw some dude - swerve left with his bike - was leaning extremely right - I heard or yelled "whoooaa" and I think some other people did too as then the guy some how JUMPED 2-3 bike widths to the right and was leaning extremely left! WTF.. if someone was next to him they would of been clipped. Dude needed to hold onto his handlebars or something. I was slowing down in case he lost it.. that was before the turn on the backside.

I almost lost it off the course on that turn on the back side.. I took it really wide and fast - and half way through determined that I was probably too fast in it and sat up and tried to slow her down .. I was probably okay - but just worried there might be gravel in that lane and wipe out.

The one dude was a little rude to the jogger the 2nd time we passed him "What the F*, get the f*ing jogger off the course"..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.