Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got suggestions for best all-round racing wheelsets under $1000? Will be using for crits, road races, flat and climbing courses and my specialty I guess would be sprinting. Currently looking at Campy Eurus and Ksyrium SL. Trying to make a step up from Ksyrium Elites which have been rock solid for me in the past.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Bontager Aeros

BigPiece said:
Anybody got suggestions for best all-round racing wheelsets under $1000? Will be using for crits, road races, flat and climbing courses and my specialty I guess would be sprinting. Currently looking at Campy Eurus and Ksyrium SL. Trying to make a step up from Ksyrium Elites which have been rock solid for me in the past.
Great wheels on my 4th season with em. Stiff fast and decently light or as light as you really need.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Bontager Aeros

BigPiece said:
Great wheels on my 4th season with em. Stiff fast and decently light or as light as you really need.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
You're not looking at changing anything, honestly.

What's the difference between a Ksyrium elite and an SL -- 200 gm?

If you're a sprinter paying for your own stuff, you want a stiff wheelset that won't make you cry very hard when someone puts a pedal through it. Your Elites are fine -- I might race those, and buy a generic Open Pro wheelset for training.

If you mean "bling wheelset to take to races and look as cool as everyone," then Ksyrium SL's and Campy Euruses are both GOOD wheels, they just cost a pretty penny.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Keep what you've got

BigPiece said:
Got to agree with Argentius on this one - unless you're going for looks, your Elites are fine. You won't really see a difference unless you spring for carbon fiber tubular wheels, where you get really big weight differentials and some aero effects (and >$1000 prices). I don't know your race background, but if you race a lot, you will see a surprising number of really good riders on standard DA or record hubs/Mavic OP rims (and other non-bling wheelsets). One of our local "big guns" has been winning a lot (ok, last season, our new season is just about to start) on inexpensive Neuvation wheels. If you want a really corny suggestion, spend your money on a used Powertap wheel (the new ones are >$1000), it will do more for your racing than another pair of racing wheels.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
or, if you want something different. why not have some good box section tubulars built around da/record hubs. if there for racing, who cares about the pia factor. these will same some weight and give you something "special" to race on. plenty of money for tires and cassette in your budget. or, if you are feeling froggy, have them built around dt swiss or white ind hubs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts