Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone race with toe clips? Is this a bad idea?

I'm hoping to race cross soon and I've seen that almost everyone runs clip less pedals, but I feel very comfortable with toe clips. Also, since I commute with my bike as well, it's less of a hassle to switch shoes everytime I want to walk or ride.

Any suggestions?

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Road raced for years with toe-clips. Starts were slower cause you'd need to slip into the pedal groove on the shoe's cleat and tighten the strap... when MTBikes first came out we used toe clips; if you were on an ascent and couldn't get into the clip, it would suck if you were panic pedaling on the wrong side of the pedal.

·
You call that running?
262 Posts
Getting into toe clips will be much slower. Bike shoes are also stiffer so your feet will be more comfortable and your energy transfer to the pedals will be more efficient. Having to change shoes at work kind of sucks but racing in toe clips would really suck.

Edit: Racing on toe clips now that there are much better alternatives would really suck. I mountain biked with toe clips when I was a kid.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Obviously, there was a time when everyone raced with toe-clips (unless they raced on flats). That said, it sounds like a lousy idea now that good clipless systems are readily available.

I would get some good clipless pedals and some of the many walkable street-shoe looking MTB shoes at the very least. That will work for commuting and be much better for racing than toe-clips, IMO. You may also want some dedicated race shoes that are lighter, stiffer and won't need to be presentable (or dry) on Monday morning.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I can't find where I originally read it, but back in the old days, they had all kind of tricks to make getting in and out of the clips quicker. Guys would wear soccer cleats instead of normal bike cleats. On really muddy days, a guy might just take off the clips and ride flat pedals. They rigged up weird ways of keeping the clips open.

I think it's far more convenient to switch out clipless pedals to flat pedals between Sunday afternoon and Monday morning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used toe clips, then that angled thingie, the powergrip. (I have those now on my commuter for the dress shoes.) I went to clips and now zero float on the roadie. My feeling is that when I'm on the bike, I'M ON THE BIKE. Stong ankles, years of emergency exits with ultegra, look, spd, crankbrothers, time. Its not even a neuron in the back of my brain about what to do in an emergency when clipped in. I'm sure everyone else can get there too. Its real freedom to be ON the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.