Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to add front and rear racks to my Surly LHT. I'm rather new to this kind of bike and have never had a full loaded bike. I've kind of narrowed it down to the Surly Nice Racks, front and rear or Tubus Tara or Ergo for front and Logo Expedition rear. It's obvious both makers have some different ideas about the ideal rack set. I like the less hulking design of the Tubus, a narrower rear top rack with lower mounts for lower center of gravity, and the front is pretty minimalist and gets the bags really low. Tubus seems to have a a good name behind their products.

The Surly's are sure indestructable. You gain a top rack for the front. I question whether I would even want to carry anything up there for handling issues. :idea: Both front and rear racks are huge and wide. When not loaded with panniers, I'm questioning whether I want to lug around all that girth. I've read some things about the Nice front being a little overly complex to mount. Maybe not an issue on a LHT. They look pretty tank-like which I like.

I want the option to go fully loaded if I want to, but most of the time the panniers would be used for commuting or overnight camping trips where I wouldn't be packing all that much weight.

Any help or feedback from you experienced at this would be greatly appreciated. I'm used to bags that are no bigger than a rolled up inner tube and and a pair of tire irons so this is a change.

brewster

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The score is 5 votes for Tubus, 0 for Surly, and 1 for DIY.

All good points presented here. The reason I'm laboring over this decision is that it's $200 bucks either way for racks and I only want to do this once and not regret it later.

If it matters, I plan on getting some Axiom Monsoon panniers now to start and then adding either another set of the same and have 4 mid-size bags or get the larger Typhoon bags of the same basic design. I've read some things about the Tubus being designed for the Ortlieb clasping mechanism....I'm not sure exactly what that means and why it would have to be Tubus specific.

The other thing I'm wondering about is clearance. My LHT has 26in wheels with PB Cascadia fenders, and in the winter I throw on 2.1 knobbies for snow. Is there enough clearance in the front Tara over-the-tire support brace for 2.1s? I have not found anything in the documentation about this. It states either rack will mount 26"-700c wheels, so is there just more space between the back wheel and the under side of the top rack when mounting to 26" wheels?

Comments much appreciated.
brewster

brewster

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I guess it was because the Axioms are aluminum. I was looking at steel for strength. However that Journey front looks nice and I think I do want at least a short platform for the front to house my battery and light stuff in a little bag. That way I don't have to string another cable to the back of the bike for the light. Decisions, decisions. I thought I knew what I was going to do....now, more to think about. I guess I have to decide what is most important to me in a rack set.

brewster

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know, it's funny you mention that because I've pouring over all these comments and researching the various types and brands. I have to say, the Axioms are looking like a great value. Considering the Surly/Tubus brand racks are about 4 times the price of the Axiom, I would expect they would be 4 times better, but I can't quite make that claim confidently given the user experiences I've heard with the Axiom racks. I like the reduced weight that an aluminum rack could provide. My LHT is already a heavy bike. Somebody mentioned a set of Surly racks would add nearly 5 pounds to the bike. I'm no weight-weenie, but jeesh, that's a lot of weight just to carry some occasional bags. Most of my use would be just commuting, with the occasional double pannier camping over-nighter. Down the road, it might be fun to do a week-long self-supported tour, but that's not going to happen anytieme soon. I think I've decided on just one set of Monsoon panniers, and a rear rack. I've decided that I can hold off on any front rack or bags for now.

One question I've come across with the Streamliners is what's the difference between the Streamliner DLX and Streamliner Sport Tour? Is the Sport Tour an older model? The bottom design is slightly different, and the DLX details list it fitting 26" wheels (which I need) as well as 700c. It is not clear to me whether the Sport Tour has the same width top panel as the DLX. I kind of like the super narrow top rack portion, since I probably will not use a trunk bag. The Sport Tour is widely available but not on the Axiom website. The DLX is. The other thing I can't figure out from the net pics or descriptions is whether or not the DLX has the standard 2-hole light mount on the back. The Sport Tour does I know that because I can see it. If somebody has some insight about these things, that would help immensely. My LBS doesn't carry either one, so I can't just go see them in person.

brewster

Streamliner Sport Tour and Streamliner DLX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts