Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
brewster said:
The score is 5 votes for Tubus, 0 for Surly, and 1 for DIY.

All good points presented here. The reason I'm laboring over this decision is that it's $200 bucks either way for racks and I only want to do this once and not regret it later.

If it matters, I plan on getting some Axiom Monsoon panniers now to start and then adding either another set of the same and have 4 mid-size bags or get the larger Typhoon bags of the same basic design. I've read some things about the Tubus being designed for the Ortlieb clasping mechanism....I'm not sure exactly what that means and why it would have to be Tubus specific.

The other thing I'm wondering about is clearance. My LHT has 26in wheels with PB Cascadia fenders, and in the winter I throw on 2.1 knobbies for snow. Is there enough clearance in the front Tara over-the-tire support brace for 2.1s? I have not found anything in the documentation about this. It states either rack will mount 26"-700c wheels, so is there just more space between the back wheel and the under side of the top rack when mounting to 26" wheels?

Comments much appreciated.
brewster

brewster
If you are looking at the Axiom bags, why not look at their racks, too? I just got the streamliner road dlx and it has been great so far for commuting ~35 miles. Built solid and great price. Their Journey front and rear look like they might fit your needs. The front Journey has a rack option that looks pretty cool.

That said, I do like the low rider bars on that Tubus rear rack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts