Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a rear rack on my commuter. It has disc brakes, do you think it's possible to modify a regular rack (they're much cheaper) or is it just better to buy the 'disc compatible' rack.

Having a hard time visualizing what mods I'd have to do (don't have the bike yet), does it just have to be bent around the caliper or am I missing something more significant?

·
Cobalt Thorium G?
63 Posts
Topeak has a new rack especially for disk equiped bikes. I found it just last night when looking at the REI website for something else. here is the link

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
hedge said:
I need a rear rack on my commuter. It has disc brakes, do you think it's possible to modify a regular rack (they're much cheaper) or is it just better to buy the 'disc compatible' rack.

Having a hard time visualizing what mods I'd have to do (don't have the bike yet), does it just have to be bent around the caliper or am I missing something more significant?
Channing from Old Man Mountain send me this spacer/bushing and an extra long mounting bolt for my rack when I switched from linear pull to discs. The pic is taken standing on the left rear of the bike and looking straight down at the dropout. The inside diameter of the spacer is just a bit larger than the diameter of the mounting bolt. You might find a similar item at a hardware store. Keep in mind that this was set up for an Old Man Mountain rack and Avid BB5 brakes. But you might be able to make something similar work.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Which OMM rack do you have? I would guess it needs to be a little wider to work with the spacer.

Jesse D Smith said:
Channing from Old Man Mountain send me this spacer/bushing and an extra long mounting bolt for my rack when I switched from linear pull to discs. The pic is taken standing on the left rear of the bike and looking straight down at the dropout. The inside diameter of the spacer is just a bit larger than the diameter of the mounting bolt. You might find a similar item at a hardware store. Keep in mind that this was set up for an Old Man Mountain rack and Avid BB5 brakes. But you might be able to make something similar work.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Geet said:
Which OMM rack do you have? I would guess it needs to be a little wider to work with the spacer.
I have the Red Rock, which I got because it's set back further to prevent striking your heel on the panniers.
Actually, you just spread the left strut out a bit, wedge the spacer inbetween the frame and the strut, and slip in the bolt. The only minor problem is that the strut naturally wants to spring back towards the frame. This can kind of squeeze the rear triangle together a bit so your wheel may not fall right out when you open the QR. A gentle bop with the fist on the top of the tire makes it fall right out.
That being said, OMM has other racks specifically designed for disc brakes. The Sherpa and Cold Springs come in disc-specific versions. Hell, they have racks for full suspension disc bikes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use Kryptonite locking skewers, so my preference would be to mount the rack to the frame and not to the skewer. I have the necessary holes in the frame, but the brake is in the way. Either your solution or the new Topeak rack look like they will do the trick.

I have tried the Axiom Journey Disc specific rack. It was crap. It has so many joints on it that it loosens up too easily.

Jesse D Smith said:
I have the Red Rock, which I got because it's set back further to prevent striking your heel on the panniers.
Actually, you just spread the left strut out a bit, wedge the spacer inbetween the frame and the strut, and slip in the bolt. The only minor problem is that the strut naturally wants to spring back towards the frame. This can kind of squeeze the rear triangle together a bit so your wheel may not fall right out when you open the QR. A gentle bop with the fist on the top of the tire makes it fall right out.
That being said, OMM has other racks specifically designed for disc brakes. The Sherpa and Cold Springs come in disc-specific versions. Hell, they have racks for full suspension disc bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts