Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for fork-mount bike racks for the factory rack on my Outback and have found a couple of options:

The Rocky Mount Noose: http://www.rockymounts.com/noose

or

The Inno Universal Fork Mount: http://www.rack-it.com/new-inno-universal-fork-mount-bike-carrier-with-lock-ina383-p78812/

It appears that the Inno will lock to the crossbars, while the RM will not. It also appears that both have locking skewers. Locks are included on the Inno, but are optional on the RM

Does anyone have any thoughts, reviews, opinions, etc. before I make a decision? Thanks in advance!

·
Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
I've used the Rocky Mounts Noose for about 5 years now, and have had zero issues with it.

It uses allen bolts to attach the front to the rack, so locking isn't an issue (at least for me).

I got mine at www.rackattack.com

·
I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
I like Yakima for that use. Either the rail riders or the lowrider towers and the Viper fork mount.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OldRoadGuy said:
I like Yakima for that use. Either the rail riders or the lowrider towers and the Viper fork mount.
I have Yakima on the other car. Good stuff! But I'm trying to avoid buying new crossbars since I have the factory ones. how easy is it to install/remove the rail riders or lowrider towers? I'd love to be able to throw the rack on and off as needed, rather than letting it suck up MPGs on bike-free road trips.

Looks like folks are leaning towards the RMs. I wish I could find someone who's tried the Innos, especially since I can score a half-decent discount on those.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
I have had the Rocky Mounts for 4 years now, and I use them alot. The winters here can be brutal and they are still fine. I also took a 3000 mile vacation last year and had two bikes on the roof. Worked fine. BUT... they are not as stable as a good full system Thule or Yakima or what have you. I don't think you can safely do more than two bikes, maybe only one if its a big old heavy full suspension mountain bike. Depends on the strength of the factory bars.

·
I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
Becky said:
I have Yakima on the other car. Good stuff! But I'm trying to avoid buying new crossbars since I have the factory ones. how easy is it to install/remove the rail riders or lowrider towers? I'd love to be able to throw the rack on and off as needed, rather than letting it suck up MPGs on bike-free road trips.

Looks like folks are leaning towards the RMs. I wish I could find someone who's tried the Innos, especially since I can score a half-decent discount on those.
The Rail Riders fit into the groove the factory racks have so they're somewhat
permanent (until you reverse the process. The Low Riders which I've used before
on a Suburban worked great and were easy to remove yet locked to the factory bar.
The materials they use for factory racks generally have a lesser weight capacity than
aftermarket bars do which may or may not be an issue depending on whether you
have heavy downhill mtbs or want to carry heavy loads on top of your vehicle to
leave more room inside. I just picked up a Rocket Box for the top of my Scion and
it makes a slight difference in gas mileage (it seems like less than the naked bars alone)
but a huge difference by not having to stuff the inside of the car so full.

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with the brands you mentioned but thought I'd
still chime in.

BTW I've purchased much of my recent Yakima stuff off Craigslist and saved a bit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rocky Mounts are the way to go, super reasonable on cost too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.