Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there isn't a dedicated forum to discuss bike-related accessories, I'm gonna leave this here.

I've been looking at some options for a hitch mounted rack. My needs are fairly simple, no cross-country trips in the near future. I wanted something for one or two bikes, with a tray mount, foldable, and relatively inexpensive.

What I settled on is a Heininger SportsRack:

Advantage SportsRack FlatRack | Heininger Holdings, LLC

Once it comes in, I'll update with more info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
Since there isn't a dedicated forum to discuss bike-related accessories, I'm gonna leave this here.

I've been looking at some options for a hitch mounted rack. My needs are fairly simple, no cross-country trips in the near future. I wanted something for one or two bikes, with a tray mount, foldable, and relatively inexpensive.

What I settled on is a Heininger SportsRack:

Advantage SportsRack FlatRack | Heininger Holdings, LLC

Once it comes in, I'll update with more info.

nice rack.

:D :D :D

somebody had to do it.

EEC

·
Registered
20,729 Posts
I have a very similar rack. Actually 2 of them. One on my car and one on the GF's.
Cheap and really works well. Loads up the bike(s) quickly. Folds up nicely out of the way when not in use.

Rage Powersports » Modular Hitch Bike Rack
Modular 2 Bike Carrier Tire Cradle 1 1 4" or 2" Hitch Bicycle Rack BC 7621 | eBay

One thing I noticed on the one you got is it has a threaded knob and cotter pin that has to be removed every time you want to fold it up. Mine has a hitch pin and only takes a second to pop out.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a very similar rack. Actually 2 of them. One on my car and one on the GF's.
Cheap and really works well. Loads up the bike(s) quickly. Folds up nicely out of the way when not in use.

Rage Powersports » Modular Hitch Bike Rack
Modular 2 Bike Carrier Tire Cradle 1 1 4" or 2" Hitch Bicycle Rack BC 7621 | eBay

One thing I noticed on the one you got is it has a threaded knob and cotter pin that has to be removed every time you want to fold it up. Mine has a hitch pin and only takes a second to pop out.
The one from Rage Powersports was another one I was considering, along with the base model from Swagman. We'll see how it works.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Cart Before the Horse

So, the rack arrived from amazon:

It came mostly preassembled. I only needed to install the bolt connecting the arm that will run from the hitch to the rack. I was surprised the box didn't have any padding, but the rack doesn't appear scratched or damaged. It is surprisingly light, approximately 20lbs.

Now I get to wait because the rack arrived (of course) before the hitch itself. Once it gets here and I get it installed, I'll update with the final product.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the hitch and got it installed. Jeebus that sucked.

The rack, though, seems to be okay.

I like how tight it folds to the vehicle when it's not being used. Unfortunately, I'll need to fold it back down to open the lift gate.

I'll update once I've used it a bit. But for $133 with a coupon from Amazon, so far so good.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So, here it is loaded up. I had a little shimmy from the front wheel at highway speeds, but no problems.

I also supplemented the straps with some small bungee cords because I have trust issues.

And yes, the vehicle is registered in Blursissippi...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts