Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal: My husband's bike is basically too big for him. He has no seat post showing at all. I've mentioned to him that he should look at a bike that actually fits him, but he shows no interest in bike shopping. Considering our main AC just quit working last night, I'm not going to argue with him about spending a bunch of money on a new bike.

We both commute to work most days on our bikes. For him it's about 15 mi round trip. I've transitioned to a trunk rack and seat post rack which I have found to be a vast improvement to having a backpack or messenger bag. It's often over 100 degrees on our commute home. Husband is still using a backpack.

I'm looking for some sort of trunk-rack-like solution for him that doesn't require room on the seat post to work. I'm not sure he'll go for panniers. He might go for a rack if it can be installed without forcing him to raise his seat.

Any ideas?

Here is his bike, for a visual of how he's got the seat post set:

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Yep, tire clearance would have to be verified. Some of the Carradice and other brands of larger saddle bags are worth looking into.

And as a side note, on one bike I had, I used one of the clamp-on style beam racks by putting it between the seat stays and clamping it onto the seat tube below the clamp. It worked for me at that time, but would make some cringe when they saw it clamped to the seat tube even though the post inside was there to help.

See if your LBS will let you browse through their supplier catalog to see what they can order for you. I know that QBP puts out a consumer edition just for this purpose.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I measured the bottom of the seat rails to the top of the tire, and although that bag looked great, it would have scraped the tire when expanded.

But then I got to looking at the two racks I have. One slides onto the seat post so there must be room on the post for it to fit, and you have to remove the seat to install it. But the other one, the one I like best, actually clamps onto the seat post, so that one side of the clamp comes completely off eliminating the need to slide it onto the post.

I gave his bike another look, and pondered clamping that type of rack directly to the seat tube (the Miyata is steel). Seemed plausible, although not particularly attractive. If the rack part was far enough back, it just might work.

So off to the LBS I went and bought another rack just like mine. I bought another (bigger and better) trunk bag, too.

Got it all home and installed the rack right onto the seat tube. I was a little worried about over-tightening the screws and damaging the tube. So far, so good. Works great! He got my hand-me-down trunk bag, though... she who shops and installs gets the new stuff!

He used it today, and said it worked just fine and thanked me for it. It's 99 degrees today, I imagine he'll thank me even more when he gets home. Getting rid of the backpack in the heat makes a big difference to me.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.