Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm writing this after just having my front wheel taken out by a large racoon, traveling downhill at 40 mph, and sliding about 25 to 30 ft on crappy chip seal. I saw the racoon darting across the road as it hit my light beam (it's now 2:35 am here) but alas my light beam is only the Nighthawk Emittor which has a 1 watt Luxeon emitter. So I had no where to really go because they recently chip sealed the road I was on and there is almost no decent packed down "lanes" yet. I didn't trust the surface to not slide out on me especially since the middle and sides of the roads are just loose stone. So, sure enough, BUMP goes the front wheel and then I'm sliding on my stomach. Nasty "rug" burns everywhere now and my left knee is not feeling to well. Not broke/strained or anything but I have a feeling I'm going to be off the bike for a few weeks. If the '**** had stuck around I'd have a nice new **** hat. AND I HATE bad chip seal jobs!:mad: and I was have the Flowerfest century ride next weekend GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Actually you are lucky that the **** ran off, as they are very bad fellas when in close proximity. You would have been wishing for just the chipseal abrasions after that critter got done with you. Then would have come the doctor bills and the Rabies vaccination. So count your blessings even if they are a little bitter.

·
Registered
103 Posts

If you were from the South you would have got that Mother F**Ker!

From now on carry an axe or hatchet or something sharp, strap it to the front of your bike, and then hope that furry bastard crosses your path. Or you could get a better head lamp?

Remember me?

What is chip seal? Sorry I am not up to date on my road materials.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Excuse the impudent questions,

but . . .

You were going 40 mph downhill on a bad chipseal road in the dark with an inadequate headlight? And you're blaming the raccoon? I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously, but it seems there are several instances of questionable judgment here. IMHO.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
JCavilia said:
but . . .

You were going 40 mph downhill on a bad chipseal road in the dark with an inadequate headlight? And you're blaming the raccoon? I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously, but it seems there are several instances of questionable judgment here. IMHO.
Yep! :yesnod:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JCavilia said:
but . . .

It's more a case of: I've been riding this route many, many times (before the chip seal though) and the light is actually adequate, I did see the raccoon, it's more an issue with the chip seal and not having a place to swerve out of the way whereas before the chip seal went down there was. I saw the '****, knew I couldn't swerve/not enough time to slow down, and hoped for the best.

Now that I've calmed down the real irk I have is with the chip seal. Regardless of whether or not I should have been on the road, and disregarding that fact that now all my other possible routes have also been chip sealed, the chip seal process isn't being done right. I've read many studies suggesting the proper and safe way to lay chip seal and subsequent cape seal/fogging seals. However, here they simply lay down the aggregate stones and binder and let the traffic press down the resurfacing. So now there is a very loose pile of stones in the middle of the road, between the tire spacing of the traffic "lane", and the side of the road. All of these piles should be swept up within a couple hours after laying the chip seal with a subsequent resweep every week for a couple of weeks. Add to this fact that these roads that were chip sealed are widely known to be used by cyclists very, very frequently. Better care should be going into the proper procedures when resurfacing these roads, PERIOD! Obviously this is something I will have to bring up to the city council etc. Chip seal, when done right, is almost as safe as regular asphalt, WHEN DONE RIGHT.

Regarding my judgement going down this road? Probably not the best but please keep in mind that I've never even seen a '**** before and I've ridden in the dark, this same route, plenty of times. Just sayin'. As much as I wish I had a set work schedule, I don't. My shifts vary day to day. I have to get my riding in when I can. I typically commute to work and use this as my riding time. When you're out in the boonies it's either ride home or sit there on the side of the road fearful of a little chip seal. I chose to get my excersise in. Truth be told I'm more mad at myself (other than the chip seal issue I have) because I saw what was going to happen, knew it was going to happen, knew I had put myself in a situation that left me no out, which left me sliding on the stone, banging the stone as I'm sliding in frustration. At least I was able to set my fall up for the least amount of damage though and I have mostly top surface road rash so all isn't to bad. My knee seems to be feeling better so I may just make that century of mine. <fingers crossed + >

And of course the real story is...(so I choose to believe anyway)...that I'm developing superpowers and learned I could fly...and...and I was...for about two seconds...but then some villian threw kryptonite at me from the brush by the side of the road....and well...

THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT :thumbsup:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chip seal is basically small stones (aggregate) mixed with some kind of binder usually an asphalt emulsion or asphalt polymer emulsion (or some such). This is essentially "sprayed" or set down on top of blacktop. It serves to seal the cracks in roads as well as cut down on dust, improve the overall life of a road without the expense of resurfacing asphalt. Essentially this is the process. Prep the surface. Spray down the emulsion. Spray down the stone. Pass over the sprayed area with a roller. Sweep to remove remaining loose stone. Lay down what amounts to a sealer over the rougher stone to cut road noise and to stop loose particles from coming loose thereby damaging cars etc. Open road to traffic. Traffic can go on the new surface almost immediately.

It's a cheaper way to improve the road system as compared to laying down new asphalt. Chip seal tends to be more durable and last longer and multiple layers can continuously be added over time. It also drastically reduces the amount of time a road is "closed for construction".

Done right it's not bad to ride on. Just a little more bumpy and your times are slower. It can be safe. In my area it's not. :mad:

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
zooog said:
Chip seal is the devil. I despise it. Glad to hear you survived. I may write my legislators and request a ban on chip seal.....:)
it's cheap....is makes the road look better...but IMO it does not improve the service or longevity of the surface...I FREAKING HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
JCavilia said:
but . . .

Yeah, I agree with JCavilia here. Sounds like a recipe for disaster and you got off lucky (meaning you are alive to write about your stupidity). :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here they just spray melted tar or something similar, drive down it with the dump truck bed tilted and call it good, no top sealer, no roller, just piles of gravel and cracked windshields for the locals. Hillsdale county Michigan near Indiana and Ohio for those wondering.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in K-zoo. Sounds like the whole state does c.s. this way. At school in Ann Arbor they do the same there too. Boy, if they keep this up I might just have to do "road" riding on my Mtn. bike again. I might even have to spring for full suspension.

Don't know if the raccoon is OK or not. It was wandering away in the brush but you could tell it was hurt.

Oh and the seals are juuussssttt fine :D

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
jabpn said:
...it's more an issue with the chip seal and not having a place to swerve out of the way whereas before the chip seal went down there was.
So, you knew it was chip sealed recently and the surface wasn't stable, but you were still going 40 mph at night? That leaves little time to react in the best of circumstances, much less the ones you describe. I think it's more of an issue that you were going too fast for conditions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
HId Light Set-ups

The lighting was obviously inadequate. Beyond that I havent even seen even an HID light that can really put out enough to light the road up to 40 mph. I think the 1 watt led's are pretty much meant for urban riding with street lights or for emergencies out on the back roads. Start looking for and HID set up or a decent 20w halogen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Remember to practice bunny hopping!

Or perhaps Racoon hopping, as the case may be.

Jabpn may or may not have had time to do it (probably not with a 1W light), but it can save your neck. You'd be amazed at how high/far you can hop when you have adrenaline, too.

Just don't do it to the point of treating your road bike like a mountain bike, or it'll get back at you.... (one cracked stem later...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.