Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
HokieRider said:
Whoever mentioned using RP at work is a genius. I have dial up so most streaming music sucks, but this one has a dial up choice. Awesome music. Love it. Thanks!
probably me....other than my own music it's about all I listen to anymore. I have one of the Roku devices they mention on their homepage at home hooked to my stereo so it's nice to be able to put that on while BBQing and hanging on the deck during summer.

//you listen to the 192kbps feed? Sounds awesome over phones or good speakers.
 

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I'm using the super low speed dial up connection, but I saw the note about the 196 or whatever super fast number connection. I think I'll try that while I'm painting the house tonight. Lovin this mix though. I'm studying for a big test that if I pass will qualify me for a new job that has a beginning salary of 2x my current salary so I'm a little stressed, but this music is perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the info on RP, just got back from another confrontation filled road ride here in S.E. Missouri and this mix has mellowed me right out. 30 more days and I'll be back in Colorful Colorado. Thank Jeebus!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
rp versus live365?

how does this compare to live365?
for $50/yr, you get live365 with no commercials.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
PJay said:
how does this compare to live365?
for $50/yr, you get live365 with no commercials.
Radio Paradise is listener supported so you pay what you feel you want to pay. It is programmed by a real person and there is a live DJ. No commercials here either. If you want to find out or comment on songs they play they have a really cool web interface to do so. Check it out.

http://www.radioparadise.com

I usually send em $10 a month cuz I get lots of value from it, but you don't have to pay anything.

another good source for online music is the SOMAFM stations:

http://somafm.com/
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Hey Bo - I plumbed my wifi laptop into the home stereo last night for a dinner party, and ran RadioParadise the whole night. Very nice. Our guests were a mix of folks from the winery, and some of my regular beat/house/ambient/lounge/groove electronic choices would've been a little too eclectic for their tastes. RP was a nice balance. After a night of listening I could nearly say that I dig the sound of music created by real people, playing physical instruments.

Thanks for the RP tip. I already send money to Somafm, will do the same for RP.

on a side note: I listen to mp3 streams through Winamp 5.X. And when I have a party I generally run a Milkdrop Winamp visualization into my TV, previously through S-video and now via a PCI VGA cable into new monitor. My teeny little laptop natively supports a full resolution widescreen output (up to 1920x1200), and with the new big HD LCD I acquired around X-Mas, the widescreen high resolution visualizations were stunning. Do you ever mess around with the Winamp visualizations, and have you tried Milkdrop? It's free, included with the free winamp player and very entertaining. You can even output the video signal as color offest 3D, it's almost vertigo inducing...
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Hey Bo - I plumbed my wifi laptop into the home stereo last night for a dinner party, and ran RadioParadise the whole night. Very nice. Our guests were a mix of folks from the winery, and some of my regular beat/house/ambient/lounge/groove electronic choices would've been a little too eclectic for their tastes. RP was a nice balance. After a night of listening I could nearly say that I dig the sound of music created by real people, playing physical instruments.

Thanks for the RP tip. I already send money to Somafm, will do the same for RP.

on a side note: I listen to mp3 streams through Winamp 5.X. And when I have a party I generally run a Milkdrop Winamp visualization into my TV, previously through S-video and now via a PCI VGA cable into new monitor. My teeny little laptop natively supports a full resolution widescreen output (up to 1920x1200), and with the new big HD LCD I acquired around X-Mas, the widescreen high resolution visualizations were stunning. Do you ever mess around with the Winamp visualizations, and have you tried Milkdrop? It's free, included with the free winamp player and very entertaining. You can even output the video signal as color offest 3D, it's almost vertigo inducing...
I don't do too much with the visualizations--I have a crappy regular TV--usually I'm out on the back porch when I'm listening to tunes.

// Did you like the 192kbps feed? Sounds freakin great over a good system....

/// I like the Soma stuff, but it can prove a bit too spacey for my wife. She likes more of a mix. Good background music though. I also listen to my own stuff using the Windows Media playlists. I have 20-30 playlists I can cue up with different stuff on each for different crowds/moods.
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I don't do too much with the visualizations--I have a crappy regular TV--usually I'm out on the back porch when I'm listening to tunes.

// Did you like the 192kbps feed? Sounds freakin great over a good system....

/// I like the Soma stuff, but it can prove a bit too spacey for my wife. She likes more of a mix. Good background music though. I also listen to my own stuff using the Windows Media playlists. I have 20-30 playlists I can cue up with different stuff on each for different crowds/moods.
RP's 192K feed kept dropping yesterdaym maybe casue I was running it over wifi - it's a 100 G network so it should handle the stream, but I kept needing to restart it. So I did the switch to their 128K, that didn't drop more than once, and it sounds fine in a party environment. But, I need to turn off any of the receiver's DSP effects when on a 128K stream. The DSP seems like it interprets the 128K stream noise as ambient background and it tries to expand and flange the sound. Everything sounds like it's being played back in an empty church.

Your wife finds Soma too spacey? What is she, an old republican? :D
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
RP's 192K feed kept dropping yesterdaym maybe casue I was running it over wifi - it's a 100 G network so it should handle the stream, but I kept needing to restart it. So I did the switch to their 128K, that didn't drop more than once, and it sounds fine in a party environment. But, I need to turn off any of the receiver's DSP effects when on a 128K stream. The DSP seems like it interprets the 128K stream noise as ambient background and it tries to expand and flange the sound. Everything sounds like it's being played back in an empty church.

Your wife finds Soma too spacey? What is she, an old republican? :D
I have that happen once in a while where it has to rebuffer. Not that often though. I also am running it over wireless so when my wife is downstairs reading email, my other kid is on his computer via wireless and I'm upstairs on the laptop (wireless) it can sometimes eat the bandwidth up. 128 is fine, but the 192 is just better sounding.

// My wife doesn't like too much electronica--reminds her of aerobics music which she has to listen to lots at her work.

/// Listening to 192 feed now at work via Real Player. Sounds good and is streaming great. Bet the IT police like me stealing bandwidth for that! ;)
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
// My wife doesn't like too much electronica--reminds her of aerobics music which she has to listen to lots at her work.
Just wait until she gets out to burningman. Beats. 140 dB. 24/7. (well, there's sometimes a slight reprieve between 5 and 7 am - that's when they break out the pulsejets)
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Just wait until she gets out to burningman. Beats. 140 dB. 24/7. (well, there's sometimes a slight reprieve between 5 and 7 am - that's when they break out the pulsejets)
she likes to dance so I'm sure that's no big deal.
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
If you like RP, you'll prolly like this, too. Listener supported, no commercials, intelligent DJ's. No political opinions, just music. As is their motto: "It's all about the music". RP and XPN are the only things I listen to other than my CD's. Here it is, WXPN; http://xpn.org/listen.php
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top