Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RadioShack is reportedly endings its sponsorship of Pro Cycling.

I'm cynical that this really has anything to do with being anti-doping. They got into cycling in 2010. There were serious allegations out there about Armstrong, plus ample evidence of how prevelant doping was in the peloton.

My opinion, this is about money, not morals.

Report: RadioShack to end sponsorship after 2013 season

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
Radio Shack needs to save all the money it can. I'm amazed that Charles Tandy blew $300k to buy the company so it wouldn't go bankrupt. The company dug itself into a financial hole with its business practices. They sell mundane electronics that can be found online for lower prices, and they will only price match smart phones.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whether he trolls a lot or not, his post was spot on. Radioshack is all but out of business. It's a shock they were even involved at all with sponsorship deals.
I don't doubt that they withdrew for purely financial reasons. I stated this pretty clearly in the first post.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Radio Shack (the store) has been more or less dead for years. Once consumer electronics became disposable, they floundered and never recovered. There was a time when they were relevant, but that has long since passed. No amount of re-branding is going to change that.

Radio Shack (the team) has been a failure since inception, and even more so since the merger. There are some very talented riders in their line-up, but they haven't managed to equal the sum of their parts. I think the UCI is just waiting for them to implode so that there is no controversy about cutting the number of Pro Tour teams.

I wish the best for the riders and staff, but they should be polishing up their resumes and looking towards their next careers after retirement. I think Becca was at the end of his rope even before this (with Frank and Andy), and this will likely make him even more likely to drop the license. A big spring season could change that, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Radio Shack (the store) has been more or less dead for years. Once consumer electronics became disposable, they floundered and never recovered. There was a time when they were relevant, but that has long since passed. No amount of re-branding is going to change that.
Absolutely correct.

Nothing short of a complete rebuilding of the business model can save them, and with that the Radio Shack branding is perhaps more a liability than asset at this juncture.

·
Registered
128 Posts
RS may be doing poorly, but they still get a lot of business out here in the exurbs, where the choice is between picking up something at the local strip mall, or driving a half-hour either way to go to a big-box store.

I wouldn't say the move is about money or morals; rather, that the company's sole motivation was the publicity in tying themselves to local hero Lance (who, we need to recall, is the only cyclist most Americans could name). Once his career went down in particularly-disgraceful flames, they really had no reason to continue since, as the article states, they really don't have the market presence overseas (you know, where bicycle racing matters even if you don't have an American TdF winner) to gain any cachet simply by having your name attached to a team.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
At a point of near bankruptcy, they choose to re-brand as "The Shack" and dump a few millions into B grade pro sports team that has all of it's big presence on another continent and is run by guys that have been dodging doping allegations for over a decade. Brilliant business move...

I've been into a Radio Shack twice in the past two years and didn't buy anything because the people didn't know anything about electronics, didn't know what I was looking for and when I found it, it was three times as much as anything I could buy over the web.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.