Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ride Saggy Thursday in 1995? I did. I just found out recently they made a patch to commemorate this day, but they are sold out on the RAGBRAI website with no plans to make more. Anyone have an extra they'd like to part with?

For those who may be questioniong what "Saggy Thursday" was, it was one of the worst days in RAGBRAI history. The route that day was due South almost the whole day and the winds were out of the South at 40 mph. That's right, a 40 mph headwind for 70+ miles! There were a record number of people sagging that day, so the organizers dubbed it "Saggy Thursday". My friends and I rode the whole route though. We had a motto then, "Body bags before we SAG". We were young in 1995 (I was 27 that July, turned 28 fifteen days later in August).

They made a t-shirt to commemorate the day but my order was too late and they were out of them. As stated above, I only recently found out about the patch and they are out of those too.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I was there. It sucked.

Not too many times on a bike have I just wanted to quit and go home, but that day it was very tempting. I remember the SEVERE winds, but also the open-oven heat. I remember my dad and I stopped in one of those passing towns, which was nearly a ghost town. Normally, it would be packed side to side with people and bikes. We got a hot dog or something nasty, and I was just sitting there baking in the blazing sun looking at that dog and I swear it was still sizzling from the heat. I was too tired to eat, too tired to move, and it was too noisy from the wind to talk. No shade... no point... Hell.

Great vacation, huh.

·
soulfly
60 Posts
saggy thursday

I road ragbrai that year,i didn't know about a patch or shirt. The group i road with did the 70+miles and we still talk about to this day.I hope you can find one,but i don't think i could ever forget that day. good luck

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
That day sucked.

It was my turn for support that day! When the riders came in they looked like crap. We got "word" from the road that it was tough, so I made sure everyone's cooler had extra Gatorade and ice. There weren't a lot of smiles that day!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The next day was much better...

I remember the wind shifted more westerly for the Friday ride through Williamsburg to Coralville, and the humidity was much less. That made for a downright pleasant ride. It also helped to be riding home. (At the time, I lived just a bit past where you would turn off Melrose to get to Morrison Park). It was awful nice to shower with no lines or having to hurry for the next guy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts