Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you guys said I should try doing Ragbrai on my Trek 7300 hybrid, even though I told you I was overweight and not in great shape.

But I didn't believe you and went out and bought an Orbea Aqua TDF. It was definitely the right move.

Overnight it added at least 20 miles to what I could do on a 4 hour bike ride without getting exhausted. It also meant I could keep up with other people and wasn't getting blown away by schoolgirls on every hill.

Good bikes make for easier riding, even, no ESPECIALLY for middle-aged goo-tubs.
 

· Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
RagbraiNewB said:
Well you guys said I should try doing Ragbrai on my Trek 7300 hybrid, even though I told you I was overweight and not in great shape.

But I didn't believe you and went out and bought an Orbea Aqua TDF. It was definitely the right move.

Overnight it added at least 20 miles to what I could do on a 4 hour bike ride without getting exhausted. It also meant I could keep up with other people and wasn't getting blown away by schoolgirls on every hill.

Good bikes make for easier riding, even, no ESPECIALLY for middle-aged goo-tubs.
Go ride your new bike as much as possible before Ragbrai. The newly found speed from a new bike can quickly become painful in your neck, shoulders, and back from your new position. Spend lots of time getting used to it.
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
38,780 Posts
RagbraiNewB said:
Well you guys said I should try doing Ragbrai on my Trek 7300 hybrid, even though I told you I was overweight and not in great shape.
Really? People were telling you to use a flat-bar bike for a ride that long? Seems counterintuitive to me. :confused:

Only one hand position, and you're not very aero.

...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SystemShock said:
Really? People were telling you to use a flat-bar bike for a ride that long? Seems counterintuitive to me. :confused:

Only one hand position, and you're not very aero.

...
Yeah, that's what the guy at the bike store said, too. Of course he had a vested interest in a $2,000 sales ticket, but after two 50 mile rides Friday and Sunday, there's no comparison.

So, while I am still borderline not fit enough for Ragbrai, at least now I have a fighting chance !
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
38,780 Posts
Yep. Just 'cuz someone's eager to give you advice, does not mean they know what they're talking about. Hybrids ain't exactly glamour bikes, I bet half the ppl here don't even know what a 7300 looks like.

Good luck at RAGBRAI. :thumbsup: Train hard for it, or you're gonna be really hurting, both during and afterwards... I mean like almost worse than you can imagine.

I was once idiotic enough to do a double century on very little training. I did not get out of bed the entire next day, and had random muscle spasms all over my body during that day. Definitely not the way to do it. :lol:

...
 

· banned from the museum
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
SystemShock said:
Yep. Just 'cuz someone's eager to give you advice, does not mean they know what they're talking about. Hybrids ain't exactly glamour bikes, I bet half the ppl here don't even know what a 7300 looks like.

Good luck at RAGBRAI. :thumbsup: Train hard for it, or you're gonna be really hurting, both during and afterwards... I mean like almost worse than you can imagine.

I was once idiotic enough to do a double century on very little training. I did not get out of bed the entire next day, and had random muscle spasms all over my body during that day. Definitely not the way to do it. :lol:

...
He asked if it would be possible to do RAGBRAI on a Trek 7300. It would. That bike wouldn't be my first choice, but it could be done.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=133499
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
38,780 Posts
I sure wouldn't do 400+ miles on one hand position. :frown2:

I think only one person in that thread brought that up, near the end.

...
 

· haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,966 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
He asked if it would be possible to do RAGBRAI on a Trek 7300. It would. That bike wouldn't be my first choice, but it could be done.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=133499
Damed if you do, damned if you don't.

If the folks on that thread had said "you need to go get yourself a $1500 bike" to ride RAGBRAI they'd have been called elitist bike snobs. Seems like they were being encouraging more than anything.

Granted, I wouldn't want to ride a multi-day event on flat-bar bike. But I could do it.
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
38,780 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
But there are plenty of MTB riders who would disagree about the hand position issue.
Yup. And they'd be nuts to do so. That's why I like MTB riders. :thumbsup:

...
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
38,780 Posts
jorgy said:
Damed if you do, damned if you don't.

If the folks on that thread had said "you need to go get yourself a $1500 bike" to ride RAGBRAI they'd have been called elitist bike snobs. Seems like they were being encouraging more than anything.
Meh. If I had been in on that thread, I would've said go with a cheap Craigslist entry-level road bike, or modify your hybrid a bit to make it more comfortable for the long-haul.

...
 

· Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
SystemShock said:
Meh. If I had been in on that thread, I would've said go with a cheap Craigslist entry-level road bike, or modify your hybrid a bit to make it more comfortable for the long-haul.

...
I did ragbai on a POS Panasonic steel Mountain bike way back when. The only mods were putting slicks on it. Worked fine.
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
38,780 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I did ragbai on a POS Panasonic steel Mountain bike way back when. The only mods were putting slicks on it. Worked fine.
That's you. I know plenty of ppl who'd rather be run over by a golf cart than do 400 miles on flat bars, no bar ends. :eek:

...
 

· Rollin' Stones
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
The OP asked in the first thread if he could do Ragbrai on his first bike. Sure he could. Now, he chose to get a new bike. GREAT! Not only do I hope he has a great ride, I hope to see him in a RBR jersey so we can have a beer together. I've been on almost 15 Ragbrai's. There are all kinds of bikes and riders. Everyone seems to do alright on their ride. The only folks who I think are out of their minds are the guys that ride the Unicycles with the 29 inch wheels. Those dudes are out of their minds!! :)
 

· Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
SystemShock said:
That's you. I know plenty of ppl who'd rather be run over by a golf cart than do 400 miles on flat bars, no bar ends. :eek:

...
I forgot...I had bar ends also. :D
 

· Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
cydswipe said:
The OP asked in the first thread if he could do Ragbrai on his first bike. Sure he could. Now, he chose to get a new bike. GREAT! Not only do I hope he has a great ride, I hope to see him in a RBR jersey so we can have a beer together. I've been on almost 15 Ragbrai's. There are all kinds of bikes and riders. Everyone seems to do alright on their ride. The only folks who I think are out of their minds are the guys that ride the Unicycles with the 29 inch wheels. Those dudes are out of their minds!! :)
Do they still have the high wheelers? Saw a guy descending on one on the last day down some steep hill near the Mississippi. Nutz.
 

· Rollin' Stones
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Do they still have the high wheelers? Saw a guy descending on one on the last day down some steep hill near the Mississippi. Nutz.
Yeah, they somehow have short, jammer aero bars attached to the seatpost so they can hang on to something for balance. I don't know what's crazier, climbing or descending on that rig.
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
38,780 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I forgot...I had bar ends also. :D
Hee hee... :thumbsup:


...
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top