Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice that the RAGBRAI route is a lot shorter than normal, and that it parallels I-80. I am curious if fuel prices had anything to do with this? At least most of us will have cell coverage throughout the week, right!

· Registered
154 Posts
It's shorter ...

...this year (444 miles) but it's much hillier. I believe the total climb this year is 17,300 feet...about 6,000 more than last year and/or the year before that. I'll be a shorter ride, but a challenging one nonetheless.

As far as cell phone use goes, the towers will be there, but I don't know if you'll have a lot of luck getting a connection. RAGBRAI brings a ton of people to areas that normally have fairly light cell phone traffic. In past years, I found the cell circuits were often jammed for most of the day.

You never know though...when we go to Waukee will be very close to Des Moines, which I would imagine has substantial cell capacity. This will be RAGBRAI #6 for me, and I've always managed to make my calls home....

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Ragbrai

In years past cell phone connections were tough to get. Now, it's gotten better. The east half of the state shouldn't be a problem. The NW part is a b^&$ch though. Your provider should give you a map as to their coverage area. I do not have a cell phone, if I did, I probably wouldn't take it on vacation.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
varsitychamp said:
i cant wait for ragbrai.its great.good training in the day.pick up women at night.thats my kind of time.i could care less about the route.its all about the fun.Right?
Well there was a time when talking you into going was like pulling teeth...By the way, what is this claim as fastest man on RAGBRAI you are making? I thought you were the son of the fastest man on RAGBRAI?

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
varsitychamp said:
no i am the fastest.lance is gonna come this year and we are gonna have a showdown.
Better inform the bookies. S.M. odds 1,000,000 to 1

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Gearing

Riot Cop said:
...this year (444 miles) but it's much hillier. I believe the total climb this year is 17,300 feet...about 6,000 more than last year and/or the year before that. I'll be a shorter ride, but a challenging one nonetheless...
So what are the hills like? We are flatlanders from northern Indiana and don't hit the climbs too often except for Hilly 100 and a few other out of town routes. Are they short steep walls, long gradual climbs or just long rollers strung together? The profile maps I looked at were a little too small for me to get an idea of grades.

My wife and I are riding our tandem this year. We are both fairly strong and are able to stand together when climbing up short walls. Current plans are the standard triple up front with a 52-42-30 and a 13-25 in the back. Do I need to install a 27t on the back end, pack the 27t in the gear bag or just leave it at home?

Thanks for your input - looking forward to my first RAGBRAI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.