Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with a "customer service manager" from Nashbar . . . she was unable to help me.

I inquired about an order for two items last week - when they told me the total would be $60.34 I immediately CANCELLED the order. They added tax & shipping & that's fair, I have no problem with that, but I only had $59 in my account. Well, I told the phone saleswoman that I DID NOT WANT THE ORDER - that I wanted to CANCEL THE ORDER BECAUSE I ONLY HAD $59 ON MY DEBIT CARD.

The idiots went ahead and shipped the items, and today I got the package along with a statement from my bank charging me $36 for insuffcient funds. Of course, immediately, I called Nashbar & they said they'd have to investigate and have a higher level manager see if they could do anything. This was NOT my fault as I CLEARLY cancelled the order and told the saleswoman I would wait & obtain the items later.

I will never, ever, ever buy anything from that lousy company again!!! For years I've been a loyal customer and I've gotten some good deals on items and generally, things were okay. I hope I can somehow get at least one or more people to join me in not ever using Nashbar again as a source of obtaining bike parts. I was hoping - expecting, that this "manager" I was speaking to would rectify the situation and handle it immediately and in an appropriate manner.

I hope Nashbar goes out of business and I'll do everything legally I can do to help make that possible.

Happy riding,

Steel_SSer
:(

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
Steel_SSer said:
For years I've been a loyal customer and I've gotten some good deals on items and generally, things were okay. I hope I can somehow get at least one or more people to join me in not ever using Nashbar again as a source of obtaining bike parts. I was hoping - expecting, that this "manager" I was speaking to would rectify the situation and handle it immediately and in an appropriate manner.

I hope Nashbar goes out of business and I'll do everything legally I can do to help make that possible.

:(
One mistake and you want to put them out of business? :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
That sucks.
Did u get a confermation # for the cancellation. Unless you did i dont think that there is anything legaly that you can do to make them take it back or cover the overdraft fee. Unless they decide to do it on good faith to keep a customer.

·
Registered
583 Posts
When I cancel orders...

I generally contact my bank/credit card company and tell them to cancel payment on the order as well. On two occasions, I have cancled orders (once found a better deal, and once had such a negative experiance on the phone with a sales rep. that i decided i did not want to give them buisiness) and still had the products arrive. Fortunately, on both occasions I had already contacted my credit card company and instructed them to cancel payment. On both occasions, guess who the companies wanted to pay for return shipping of the items? Uhhh...that'd be me...sure thing, i'll spring for the $40.00+ to ship this item that I CLEARLY canceled the order on right back to you asap. Let me just clear a spot on my schedule to get to the post office as soon as i can...riiiigggghhhht. All you are obligated to do at this point in the scenario is tell whoever has contacted you about the item that you will leave the item outside on the front steps for X number of days. If they want it back, they can arrange for it to be picked up, if not, in the trash it goes. Of course, if someone you know happens to pick through your trash and find a sweet new part for their bike, nothing you can do about that...

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
What I wanna know is why you were ordering bike stuff when you had less than $60 in the bank. Do you always live so close to the edge?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I wanna know is why you were ordering bike stuff when you had less than $60 in the bank. Do you always live so close to the edge?
Is there something wrong with only having $59 in an account? My wife & I just started teaching in public schools last year and we don't have tons of dough. I have an eBay account which I use to supplement my biking addic . . . er, I mean interests. I don't live near a decent bike shop and shopping online is where I obtain about 2/3 of my bikes/parts/accessories. Like any avid cyclist, I'm always in need of spares or whatnot - I only needed two items. I've dealt with many other online stores that do a good job of helping the customer. JensonUSA is one example, Webcyclery is another, Performance Bike - they've all been good to me and, thus far will continue to get my business.

I guess $36 is not such a big deal. But then there's the credit blemish. Then I have to find $38 (wife won't give me that much), I'll have to find the time to go to Rome (where my bank is located), then I'll have to pay for the gas to get up there (another $3 to $4 with the price of gas these days) & blah, blah, blah. All in all, to pay about $100 for $50 worth of parts really gripes me - especially when it's all a boo-boo on their part and they were totally unwilling to help me fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
$36 bucks for insufficient funds...I must be living under a rock. I never debit card anything via the internet just for this reason. Good Luck getting your money back. Cheap dumb bastards at nashbar screwed you.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Steel_SSer said:
Is there something wrong with only having $59 in an account? My wife & I just started teaching in public schools last year and we don't have tons of dough. I have an eBay account which I use to supplement my biking addic . . . er, I mean interests. I don't live near a decent bike shop and shopping online is where I obtain about 2/3 of my bikes/parts/accessories. Like any avid cyclist, I'm always in need of spares or whatnot - I only needed two items. I've dealt with many other online stores that do a good job of helping the customer. JensonUSA is one example, Webcyclery is another, Performance Bike - they've all been good to me and, thus far will continue to get my business.

I guess $36 is not such a big deal. But then there's the credit blemish. Then I have to find $38 (wife won't give me that much), I'll have to find the time to go to Rome (where my bank is located), then I'll have to pay for the gas to get up there (another $3 to $4 with the price of gas these days) & blah, blah, blah. All in all, to pay about $100 for $50 worth of parts really gripes me - especially when it's all a boo-boo on their part and they were totally unwilling to help me fix the problem.
nothing wrong with it, but personally if I only had that much $$ I'd pay with cash only and not risk the overdraft (or at least have some kind of savings backup to prevent the said overdraft). Why not have a credit card that you use just for online purchases? I'd never use a debit card to buy stuff online.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Steel_SSer said:

Coupla things. Debit cards don't ding the credit report in the same way, so you've a bit of a breather there. Only be half mad at Nashbar for the $36 - yeah, they started it, but the bank's screwing you on that fee. Save some of it for them.

Performance and Nashbar are the same company, or rather the Performance folks own Nashbar. Personally, I've had much better luck with Nashbar all the way around. Been using them since the 80's. I don't recall ever being completely satisfied by a Performance transaction - maybe that's just my personal luck.

Sorry you've had a bad experience, and I hope it gets put right. Sometimes it's not "them" but one particular individual that makes these things rough. Be calm, keep trying, and you might find it eventually works out.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Unless you habitually overdraw your account it should be simple to explain the situation to a bank manager and have the $36 penalty dropped as soon as you square the account. $10 should not be that hard to find. If the bank gives you attitude then you should take your money elsewhere. As far as the parts go...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grow up.

Nobody intentionally tried to screw you.

Mistakes are part of life.

I thought teachers had to be adults.
I bet you come unglued when you get screwed.

Isn't that a song . . . B-52's or NOFX maybe?

Educators are people too - we have feelings, work about 180 days a year and personally, I only spend about 7 1/2 hours on my job - no overtime, no business trips - it's not a bad deal if you can live on the reduced pay. This allows me to ride 800% more than I used to with my old job - engineer working ~58 hours/week & making almost twice the pay.

When I owned my own business and a customer came to me with a complaint I actually did the right thing and helped the customer out. I guess you didn't read my post because Nashbar said they weren't going to do anything to fix the situation and it was 100% their mistake.

The issue isn't all about making the mistake pal, it's about how they failed to try to help fix the problem. Now that I know Performance & Nashbar are virtually the same, I will never do business with them again. I hope you don't get treated the same way I did. I would never treat anyone that way & I feel an obligation to let people I know what a bum rap their company is. Of course, I'm sure the vast majority of transactions they do are flawless.

I was totally expecting the woman I spoke to on the phone - the person who I was told would be most helpful in solving the situation - to be understanding, apologetic, thorough and efficient in solving the problem. Instead I got really lousy service - end of story for Nashbar as far as I'm concerned. There is no excuse for two back to back mistakes, especially when the last mistake comes from a "management-level" employee.

Nashbar/Performance sucks and I'll never do business with them again. Perhaps when they treat you this way you won't mind - that's one of the many differences between us - and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't like being treated unfairly and I feel I have the right to stand up, complain, yell, stomp my feet, whine, cry, beat my chest, pee on myself or hold my breath until I'm blue if I wanna.

Based on your response to my posts, I'm assuming when you get ripped off you don't care? I can't comprehend such a reaction. I loathe poor customer satisfaction - & I'm sure that's obvious - but whatever makes you happy is fine with me.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.