Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too familiar with the US racing scene but I always see his name mentioned at various sites. I looked up his wiki page and it seemed to me he's had a promising future but never raced for a pro-team - why?

Unless he really just wanted to race crits.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the US racing scene but I always see his name mentioned at various sites. I looked up his wiki page and it seemed to me he's had a promising future but never raced for a pro-team - why?

He raced for several pro teams, my understanding is that he was a bit of a loose cannon and that made him hard to deal with. That coupled with erratic performances meant his options eventually faded away.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I don't know him personally, but he's a common name you'll hear around the Southern California crit scene (along with his friend Charon Smith). To me, he's not an elite tour caliber cyclist, but he's a good cyclist, and more importantly he seems to give back a lot to the black community, (much more than a typical white cyclist to their community), in the form of foundation for the kids in the Los Angeles area. In a way, he is what I would consider is a "local hero" at the grass root level kinda guy.

Regarding the Dana Point incident, a lot of racers from Socal (regardless of color) will defend Bahati. But Bahati does face some discrimination because he's black. There are a few misguided white guys who hate him because they cannot abstract the notion of a competitor versus that of a black guy.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
I don't know him personally, but he's a common name you'll hear around the Southern California crit scene (along with his friend Charon Smith). To me, he's not an elite tour caliber cyclist, but he's a good cyclist, and more importantly he seems to give back a lot to the black community, (much more than a typical white cyclist to their community), in the form of foundation for the kids in the Los Angeles area. In a way, he is what I would consider is a "local hero" at the grass root level kinda guy.

Regarding the Dana Point incident, a lot of racers from Socal (regardless of color) will defend Bahati. But Bahati does face some discrimination because he's black. There are a few misguided white guys who hate him because they cannot abstract the notion of a competitor versus that of a black guy.
You are absolutely correct on everything. Hope to see him at the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix in July.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks.

I do understand the incident @ Dana Point was deliberate. I'd be extremely pissed too...but I think I'd take it up with the rider post race.

btw, I guess he's not interested with road races? Just crits (I guess stick to your strengths?)?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Right now he has his own team, and has a lot of focus on his community, so unless his team gets a surprise WorldTour license he's staying in the country. I'm thinking he'd be bothered by the idea of being a "token" black guy on a WorldTour team, let alone one who will actually be chosen for races. Would bring him fame more than anything, but at least working locally allows him to work directly towards his community goals.

The point where he may be playing to his strengths (crts) is likely true also. Majority of pics he posts on FB are from crits, and his resume is mostly crits.

I would be convinced that a WorldTour team could have been built around him for some shorter major races at least.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Because of his undying devotion to his community, he will always be a winner in my book. That's regardless as to how many cycling competitions in which he races.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Thanks.

I do understand the incident @ Dana Point was deliberate. I'd be extremely pissed too...but I think I'd take it up with the rider post race.

btw, I guess he's not interested with road races? Just crits (I guess stick to your strengths?)?
It's always easy for us to sit behind the keyboard and say something along the line "I would do it differently..". But when guys are competing, testosterone are flowing, adrenaline is flowing, emotions run high, and people boil over. Nobody is a saint on the field of competition. Friends become combatants, and enemies become even fiercer enemies. That's how it is, and I would probably have done the same thing if someone intentionally crashed into my front wheel.

However, it has to be pointed out that the guy who intentionally crashed into Bahati at Dana Point did not get any punishment. But recently (and I don't remember which race) Bahati also arguably leaned into a rider in a race but did not result in a crash, and USA Cycling punished Bahati again. Again, many Socal riders came to defend him with the analysis of they see as unfairness of the 2 incidents. I think he's already liked by many in Socal.

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts

I'm a fan of Bahati and a few years back I thought that he was on the verge of breaking through to the top tier ranks. I thought his foundation was inspirational and was looking forward to seeing his team rise through the ranks. Spring 2010 was a mess for them though. They had just hired Floyd Landis, who had completed his suspension and seemed to be coming back into form. The Bahati Foundation seemed like a good place for him to find some redemption and they were hoping that Floyd would help them get invited to some bigger races. Bahati had also gotten some recent exposure for winning the national championship and having strong results in 2008 and 2009 so they seemed poised to possibly have an impact. It seems like Floyd's doping admission and the "sunglasses" incident happened almost simultaneously though and that was the end of it. Bahati seemed to largely disappear after that.

Ultimately, I don't think the sunglasses incident was as nefarious as some of the things that happen in road races all of the time (Bahati getting crashed in that same race, for example) but it looked really bad. Criteriums are crazy and the emotions and adrenaline can be out of control. It is like a 1 hour long field sprint. He really wanted to win that race and someone took him out. His emotions got the best of him and he did something stupid. I am afraid that he will be in the shadow of that incident for the remainder of his career.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
I see a rider taking out Bahati's front wheel. But it looks like he was himself out of control; without footage of the moments immediately preceding the incident we cannot conclude that it was deliberate. Maybe the other rider was sent careening out of control by someone else. We do know it was unfortunate.

Regarding crits: Socal is a mecca for crit racers.

Regarding black sprinters: Let's all get used to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.