Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to take my son for therapy near the Indianapolis airport, which is on the other side of town from where we live. On Monday afternoons I have 3 hours so I drove to the Illinois state line and drove the route backwards to Plainfield.

My main objective was to mentally note where the significant grades are and the best strategy for each. It seemed like there were only two significant grades in the first thirty miles. The first one is right at the beginning as the turn is made onto US40 and the second is when returning to US40 after leaving Terre Haute. From 30 to 50 miles are some significant grades several of which can be attacked since they are immediately preceded by a down grade. After that it US 40 is mostly flat.

I hope this mental visualization will better prepare me for the rolling hills of western Indiana. Last year was my first year and I want to improve my time significantly this year. It would have been even nicer to be able to ride some of them to get a better gauge of gearing needed and comfortable pace.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
For around $65 there is a vendor who provides bus service during RAIN with return to TH after ride. If I recall its busdog.com (as listed on RAINRIDE.org website).

I'm planning to ride it for first time. Conditioning should be OK (2k+ miles this year inc. 3 centuries and 150mi+ in a weekend). Just have to keep hydrated, fueled, and stay on my own pace.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Serotta Legend frame developed a crack in the drive side dropout that I discovered Sunday night. My LBS and Serotta believe they can get it back to me in time for RAIN.

If not, I have a nice lugged steel frame with a long wheelbase to ride. My Schwinn Paramount is 1989 and mostly has original components that are in good shape. I will use it if necessary and not suffer too much. But I would much rather have my new Legend to ride.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is just a little over a week away and I have had a sinus attack this week and have been unable to ride until today and it is raining. I still have not heard anything about my Legend repair and whether it will be back in time. But I am going to keep a positive attitude.

· Registered
960 Posts
I've finally made up my mind...
After riding with the Nebo Bikes Thurs night crew I've decided to skip it...
I would like to ride it, but I'm just a bit shy of hanging consistently with the B group during the 30 mile group ride... And they are gonna have their group hold a NO DROP policy during the RAIN RIDE... So, until I can make sure that I"m not the weakest link in that chain... I don't wanna hold up the group for the 150 mile crossing of the state.

I'm still gonna ride with the Nebo Group, try to get on their club team over the next few months... build some more speed, and then next season I'll be about it.

dekindy... Hope you get your Serrota back in time... I'd hate to have to ride my older road bike (Bianchi Trofeo, 96, index shift on the downtube) all the way across the state as compared to my Roubaix...

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is the week of RAIN. I did not bike for a week because of a sinus condition. It is cleared up and I am back riding. Last Thursday was not a confidence builder as I was weak from being off the bike and sick. I went 55 miles which in retrospect maybe I should have ridden less miles. I did feel slightly better toward the end.

Sunday's ride started out slow but I was able to ride much stronger. I rode 54 miles instead of planned 73 and that was probably better. I finished strong and it build my confidence. back up.

I am still waiting to hear if my Serotta Legend will be back in time. If not, I am going to get the Schwinn Paramount's rear wheel trued and ride it, down tube shifters and 7-speed cassette. I was going to sell the Paramount and had advertised it as RAIN ready, which it is. I am so glad that I did not sell it. Between warranting a broken hub and now the cracked frame I would have been off the bike 5 weeks which would have prohibited me from riding RAIN. As it is, I have a long wheelbase, lugged steel frame bike as backup. I might have to reconsider on selling it.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sprocket - Matt said:
I've finally made up my mind...
After riding with the Nebo Bikes Thurs night crew I've decided to skip it...
I would like to ride it, but I'm just a bit shy of hanging consistently with the B group during the 30 mile group ride... And they are gonna have their group hold a NO DROP policy during the RAIN RIDE... So, until I can make sure that I"m not the weakest link in that chain... I don't wanna hold up the group for the 150 mile crossing of the state.

I'm still gonna ride with the Nebo Group, try to get on their club team over the next few months... build some more speed, and then next season I'll be about it.

dekindy... Hope you get your Serrota back in time... I'd hate to have to ride my older road bike (Bianchi Trofeo, 96, index shift on the downtube) all the way across the state as compared to my Roubaix...
It is nice that you don't want to be the weakest link. They would not offer a no-drop policy if they did not mean it. It is a ride, not a race.

Last summer a large group of us helped 3 riders that had never done a century before. Extra time was taken at the rest stops and care was taken not to let anyone fall back. It is not all about going fast and seeing who can get there first.

IMHO you are missing a fantastic opporutnity to challenge yourself and have a great ride. I also got a tremendous boost to my fitness from riding RAIN.

I hope you change your mind.

· Registered
960 Posts
Next year I'll be part of their Development Squad. or Club Team. or whatever...
I won't be the weakest link. If I were already a member of their Club Team, I'd be more willing to be there, but since I"m not currently part of their team, i don't wanna be "that guy"...

And if I were there with 2 or 3 other guys, like last summer in that group you mentioned... might be different... I know it's not a race, but still...

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Rode RAIN last Sat- and finished (inc. riding 10mi to the start with some buds- so 171mi total for the day). It was my longest 1-day ride by far. I let my hydration & feeding get behind, but posted PB's for 50m, 100k, and 100m despite the weather.
Still amazes me that 1100+ cyclists would show up on a remote Midwest rural road in thunder & rain to ride 160mi across the Hoosier heartland. No bands or entertainment at the SAG's, just an endurance ride along the Old National Road (US40) through morning rain and afternoon heat/humidity (heat index ~100). And the route ain't all flat, BTW. It is not a climber's course, but there are enough long rollers (up to 4-5% grade) to keep up your interest.
"It's not a race"- but your times are posted. The "What was your time" question starts before you even get away from the parking lot. Even as a first timer who should be thrilled just to finish, it's hard not to have a bit of remorse over loosing 1hr+ in stoppage time due to my support vehicle getting lost-twice. However, I don't regret losing a few minutes to stop helping a rider with a flat. Or slowing to pull for guys who looked like they might not finish without a draft. That's the camaraderie that can be lost when event times are posted. But you know that when signing up, so I'm nitpicking.
Bottom Line: The RAIN organizers did an excellent job of running the event, and the cities of Terre Haute (start) & RIchmond (finish) were fabulous hosts for this spectacle. Easy to see how RAIN ridership keeps growing. If you have any interest in endurance cycling, give RAIN a go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.