Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an extra set of wheels to commute with through the winter which means mostly wet roads here. Has anyone had a tire that performed especially well in the rain?

I'm thinking 700x25

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
Always a dilemna, rain tires.

Flats are more frequent when wet. I have heard it is because the moisture acts as a lubricant, allowing debris to slide more easily into the rubber. I do not know, except that I get mroe flats in the wet. So you want more flat protection than you usually use.

But cornering also suffers on wet roads. And thick rubbered tires are generally poorer corners than race tires even int he best of conditions.

I have had good luck with gatorskins, but they do corner poorly. I just use caution in the wet. Lower pressure and wider tire are absolutely going int he right direction. You get better grip and less chance of puncture.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
cparrish said:
I just picked up an extra set of wheels to commute with through the winter which means mostly wet roads here. Has anyone had a tire that performed especially well in the rain?

I'm thinking 700x25
how cold is your winter? For me, it also means some patches of ice.

·
Registered
21,585 Posts
Wet flats

m_s said:
I have heard it is because the moisture acts as a lubricant, allowing debris to slide more easily into the rubber.
That is one reason. The other is that the water keeps the grit, wire shards, and glass bits stuck to your tire (cappilary action) so that they have a chance to work their way into the tread. In dry weather, most of that stuff would just fall off.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
MB1 said:
Continental 4 Season tire with a bit less pressure.
Listen to this man, about the tire and the pressure.

I love my 25mm Conti 4-Seasons. They're almost like riding in the dry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys I'll give the continentals a try.

tednugent - winter here usually sits in the 40-50 range with an occasional freeze but rarely more than a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts