Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been raining like crazy all week. Hurricane like wind today and rain so hard all the roads are flooding. I have been driving into to work all week and I feel like crap. Seems like forever since I have ridden work. Guess I am having withdrawal symptoms.

Maybe I should quit being a little girlie boy and commute in the rain. :confused: My wife bought me a really good Burley rain suite a few years ago so maybe I should be using it.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I'm not a very good rain rider myself, but you might as well try it out and see what you think. I know a lot of the east coast riders deal with this on a regular basis. I'm dealing with smoke again today. California has turned us into a permanent smoke field. Still better than being soaked all the time though.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Come on PL, suck it up

I'm just down the road in Hartford, and I haven't missed a day this week. By carefully watching the radar and timing things a bit, I've only gotten really soaked once or twice. It hasn't really been raining all day every day, just sometimes (though sometimes hard, I'll have to admit). Anyway, once you resign yourself to it and go with the flow it's kind of fun, if you're prepared. Helps a lot to have a rainy-day bike with fenders and such.

It's an acquired taste, though.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Wear a cycling cap under your helmet to keep the heavy stuff off your glasses. Get some amber lenses to see better. Use multiple tail lights.

I rode to work in Hawaii through several tropical storms including the infamous commute when I ran over the fish that was swimming across the MUT. I flooded out my hubs and ended up repacking them three times in a month. The sealed bearing hubs I have been using here in the PNW have been holding up well in the wet.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
you win again, bigbill

Every time one of of starts feeling like we're tough for commuting in rough weather, you trot out that "ran over the live fish" story. Damn, that's a good story; I'll never top that.

Thanks for sharing again :)

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm grumpy about the hurricane rain, too. What's worse is that I didn't ride yesterday due to the forcast, and I could have!! Today at least the rain finally came. Tomorrow looks great, but alas, I have a meeting off site that will require me to drive. Bummer!

· Registered
394 Posts
Loraura said:
I'm grumpy about the hurricane rain, too. What's worse is that I didn't ride yesterday due to the forcast, and I could have!!
Exactly! I rode into work on Monday when there was a 70% chance of thundestorms all day, but nothing happened until late in the evening. That said, last Friday I almost rode to work and on my drive home the rain was so torrential visibility went down to zero and I had to pull off the road. Glad I wasn't riding home in that. It's always a crapshoot.

· Registered
53 Posts
Rain riding

Live/work in metro Boston. I commute every day rain/shine (snow). I don't have a fancy commuter bike - just an old single speed touring bike with upright handlebars (more on that later) and full fenders.

Full fenders will do a great job keeping you dry.

Upright handlebars enable you to ride using a rain cape - which does a wonderful job keeping you pretty dry without overheating (i.e. riding in a garbage bag).

I could say "Suck it up and ride in the rain" but instead I'll be polite and say "There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad choices in clothing".

M_B

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm not sure enough about my riding skills yet to add slick streets into the mix. It'd be my own damn fault if a car hit me after I wiped out into their lane becuase I coudln't handle the bike in the rain/wet roads.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Loraura said:
I'm not sure enough about my riding skills yet to add slick streets into the mix. It'd be my own damn fault if a car hit me after I wiped out into their lane becuase I coudln't handle the bike in the rain/wet roads.
That just takes a little practice; do it on traffic-free sections at first. The normal pavement doesn't get that slick when wet, but you have to watch for metal (manhole covers, etc.) and heavily painted lines and such. On the regular surface, at the speeds folks like us go, bikes just don't skid much.

That's not the major issue, anyway. Brake performance is a bigger concern, but you deal with that by learning to anticipate more.

The biggest concern, really, is visibility. You seeing well, but more important drivers seeing you. That takes extra attention, plus bright colors, lights, etc. Around here, I swear the drivers are faster and more aggressive the worse the weather is -- they must get frustrated or something.

Still, it's no big deal once you learn how to handle the conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.