Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really wet commute today, then when I had showered at the office and was hanging up my bib shorts I saw they have a small rip right at the edge of the chamois. I probably wasn't revealing much, but the rip is clearly going to get larger and there are a couple other small holes along the seam where the chamois is sewn. These are Ibex wool bib shorts and I supposed I should not be disappointed since I bought them in 2008, but I don't feel like I wore them a ton.

I guess I'm stuck walking over to the bike shop and buying some new bib shorts, which stinks since I have plenty at home and I will get stuck paying full retail.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You can't make it home with them in that condition, or do an emergency repair good enough to get you there? I'd be walking over to the drugstore and buying a needle and thread (except I always keep those in my desk).

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't make it home with them in that condition, or do an emergency repair good enough to get you there? I'd be walking over to the drugstore and buying a needle and thread (except I always keep those in my desk).
No experience sewing, but maybe I'll give it a try. It just would have to hold until I get home.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm curious. Did you find a way to get home with reasonable modesty, or did you have to let it all hang out?

Sewing, at least to some minimal level, is a good life skill to acquire. Simple repairs aren't hard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe for next time. Put your shorts on, take a white board marker (black; presuming your bib is black) and colour in the bare patches. Make sure its a permanent marker if its raining. This is a remedy used by myself in circumstances similar to your own.

·
Non non normal
10,139 Posts
I would have to try to sew them back at the place where the stress points caused holes if I really loved the bibs.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha, some amusing but practical ideas! After close examination, I decided to just buy a new pair of bib shorts at the bike shop a couple blocks away since I realized I really only had two other pairs of bib shorts I like enough to wear regularly. (I also have a pair of Assos that have become "only under tights" shorts.)

Although I liked my Ibex Arrivee wool bib shorts, my examination revealed that they were wearing through in many areas that contacted my saddle, not just the one place with the rip. There were other smaller holes and areas ready to tear. Not surprising after five years of use. It was normal wear and tear, but looks a bit different on wool shorts and they probably would have failed catastrophically instead of gradually becoming more and more see-through like most bibs. I could have managed to get home but they were ready to be retired.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I ride with a guy who has worn Ibex for a while, and he says that they great at warranty service. You might be able to get a replacement pair if you really feel like you haven't gotten your money's worth out of the product. I just got a pair of Ibex bibs, and I think they've redesigned the shorts so that the chamios is sewn into a lycra panel rather than wool.

Good luck.

kg1

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ride with a guy who has worn Ibex for a while, and he says that they great at warranty service. You might be able to get a replacement pair if you really feel like you haven't gotten your money's worth out of the product. I just got a pair of Ibex bibs, and I think they've redesigned the shorts so that the chamios is sewn into a lycra panel rather than wool.

Good luck.

kg1
I wouldn't feel honest arguing that five years of wear was not enough. I may feel like I didn't wear them frequently, but that is just compared to my regular bib shorts since I tended to wear the Ibex for fairly narrow ranges of weather.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
When I get ripped shorts or holes in them from falls I take them to the local dry cleaners (LDC) for repair. I have some junk shorts which I take with me & if needed, they cut a patch from the junk pair to patch the hole. I've never paid more than about $7-8.00.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.