Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rainy Sunday Bmore bop.

I bopped. She bopped. We bopped.

We bopped around the southern area of Baltimore City on Sunday. We didn't wear helmets. We rode less than 10 miles. It was pouring rain. We talked about school and work. We stopped in an animal shelter to look for a dog. We rode around abandonned alleys, under highway overpasses, across, along, and under railroad tracks. We explored junkyards, old factories, firehouses and train yards. I got a flat, we Macguivered it and were rolling again. We played in the rain and played with our cameras. I took polaroids. We got soaked. We saw where a homeless person had their Christmas. We raced eachother under a highway between giant pillars. We saw a huge dead rat.

WHAT A RIDE!

Get out and bop around,
Arby.

I changed my cleats during breakfast before the ride. I don't fly out of my pedals anymore starting and stopping:

This is the biggest rat (dead rat) I've seen in Baltimore:

I wear a size 11 1/2 if that means anything to you:

He's kind of 2 dimensional now:

We played under highway overpasses. I did track stands and worked on backwards circles:

Wheelies remind me of when I was a kid:

We played around in our safe haven:

My own personal rain cloud:

We rode wildly; freely doing loops in an open stadium parking lot like two drunk sea gulls:

We had pilon races under highway overpasses:

In the city, people watched cartoons, ate breakfast, got coffee, read books, walked their dogs and had phone conversations:

I saw how somebody celebrated Christmas:

Tasha "opened er' up" in an empty stadium parking lot:

We found out that there are actually bike lanes in Baltimore. They're on the south side:

Train tracks on the south side. I live on the other side of those buildings:

We had intended to ride the Gynns Fall Trail but it was just too fun bopping about_:

Baltimore has a lot of murials:

I hopped a fence and explored a muddy junkyard:

Heaps of rebar:

We saw lots of what we thought were paintings in and of themselves:

People in Baltimore, put up fences, I think, so I can hang my bike from them and take pictures:

Razor wire... I wonder how neccessary it is:

Baltimore paves it's streets using broken shards of glass as filler... I will never be able to understand this: "flattery gets me nowhere."

This is what you do when you have no pump, and you just put in a presta valved tube... You find a gas station with an air compressor and you chop the tip off of your presta valve cap... then jam it in the air hose:

Jam this contraption up over the knurled nut of the presta valve stem and hit the air:

At the end of the ride I was cold and hungry... this tractor trailer taunted me. I didn't have steak for dinner... we had pizza and then I finished a Kurt Vonnegut book:

Have a good ride!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Wow Arby, I am not sure which of these I like the most.

Arby said:
Baltimore has a lot of murials:

Have a good ride!
But this mural with your bike in front of it is pretty good.

As a matter of fact they are all good.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the colors.

MB1 said:
But this mural with your bike in front of it is pretty good.

As a matter of fact they are all good.
Hey, I learned a new one today!
"Mural. M, U, R, A, L. Mural"
Thancs MB1! :D

Yeah, I liked the colors in that one a lot. The mural continued on along the side of that building for an entire block. It was pretty neato.

Enjoying your photos on a regular basis, although I don't have time to comment most of the time,

take care,
RB1

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
smoeone demnostrated to me ocne taht you colud mess up the spelilng of a wrod by chnaging the odrer of the middle lettres but as lnog as the fisrt and lsat lettres were in the rgiht plcae the whloe thnig was still redaable

works for me

;) :p :D :) :confused: :cool: :eek:

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
That's what I was gonna do (with analagous companionship) on Saturday, but turns out her dry-rotted clinchers were glued into her tubular rims (very old bike) and the new tires wouldn't stay seated in the rim. Found a front wheel, now I need to find a 27" rear. She'll have to wait a bit longer to put the new helmet into use.

Nice pictures, RB.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What a nice way to spend a Sunday.

What a nice way to spend a Sunday. That rat is freakin' huge! Love the pics
MN Dan

·
Registered
583 Posts
Great Pics

Cool shots of a day spent just messing around on a bike-life is good.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Great shots.

You're right, that's one flat megarat. I'd hate to have those things in my house with me. I definitely like this pic the best, but the personal rain cloud was cool.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Great stuff

You guys look like you had a blast. Wonderful pictures, I love the personal rain cloud and the mural shots too, but the steak shot is almost optical illusion. The steak looks so real and you framed and or cropped the shot so well I can't get my mind around the fact it's a truck. Wonderful pictures.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Wish I could have been there, really

The monuments and grand old mansions of Baltimore are what set Baltimore apart from other post-industrial towns like Detroit and St. Louis, but my heart always will be with the industrial decay that surrounds the harbor. It looks like you had fun ride. I spend the entire weekend on the sofa nursing a cold that I caught on one of my cross-country plane rides last week. It wasn't all bad, however, I watched most of the 2001 Tour and Hell on Wheels, a documentary about Eric Zabel and the 2003 Tour.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
MarkS said:
The monuments and grand old mansions of Baltimore are what set Baltimore apart from other post-industrial towns like Detroit and St. Louis, but my heart always will be with the industrial decay that surrounds the harbor. It looks like you had fun ride. I spend the entire weekend on the sofa nursing a cold that I caught on one of my cross-country plane rides last week. It wasn't all bad, however, I watched most of the 2001 Tour and Hell on Wheels, a documentary about Eric Zabel and the 2003 Tour.
Mark I hope you will feel better soon, if this weather holds we really should try to do the Greenmount ride :D I hope I will be seeing you next weekend at the swap meet, I'll have my nephew there again, he needs a new bike. He has grown out of the one I built for him last year, heck at 12 he's taller than me! :( Take care,

·
Registered
681 Posts
Arby great pictures!

How is your girlfriend liking her bike? I am thinking about getting one because of the rear dropout and the tire width is so generous. Because I am not good at fixed.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
loves it.

commutenow said:
How is your girlfriend liking her bike? I am thinking about getting one because of the rear dropout and the tire width is so generous. Because I am not good at fixed.
She's gotten used to having one gear now. She's also getting really comfy on the bike as far as handling goes and starting and stopping. She hasn't ridden a bike since she was a really little kid. We're up to 15 mile rides now :] We just really need to find her a shorter stem.

There is a lot of clearance in the rear though and the bike is spec'ed out nice as is. I'd recommend it for a SSer you can blast cities with as well as take on some trails. Oh, and the brakes are really really great on this bike. Cane Creek Levers and canti's.

Arby

1 - 13 of 13 Posts